Chapter Nine

Once again, my head was throbbing. I knew I hadn't drank much the night before, nor had I gotten into a fight, so why did my head hurt? I rolled over to look at my phone. Quarter past ten, and texts from Emmy.

Emmy- hey dinner tonight at 6. Momma wants you there ;)

I smiled; I loved knowing that these people actually cared for me. I know for a fact momma C would take me in as her own in a heart beat.

Riley- I'll be there at 3! :)

I wrote Emmy a quick text back and headed off for the bathroom. What was I going to do until three? I hoped in the shower, washing the grime from last nights party off of me. Once I was out of the shower, I went back to my room, searching for an outfit. After about five minutes of not being able to decide, I grabbed the closest thing to me, which just so happened to be a floral sun dress that hit mid-thigh on the front and went past my knees in the back. I started to put the dress on before I got distracted by my phone vibrating on the night stand. I walked over and picked it up, seeing a text from Bryson. Well, that's weird.

Bryson- wanna chill before you come over for dinner?

I could feel my heart beat quickening inside my chest. Bryson wanted to chill? I stared at my phone a while longer before I realized it would be a good idea to reply.

Riley- would love to. I'm ready whenever.

With that, I did my hair and make up quickly, not really caring how I looked. The pounding in my head had completely vanished, and I was ready to take on the day.

~~~~

"Snack bar sound okay?" Bryson asked as I slid into his passenger seat.

"Sounds great. I'm really feeling some ice cream." Bryson chuckled as he put the car in drive and took off. I watched out the window as the scenery changed from city to country. That was the nice thing about South Carolina; there were big, and small, cities all over the place, but you didn't have to go far to find the peaceful country. As Bryson drove, my interest changed from the landscape to him. I couldn't help but admire how handsome he was. Perfectly tanned skin, flawless, bright blue eyes, gorgeous smile, and an amazing jaw line; he was definitely the boy that mothers warn their young daughters about.

"What kind of ice cream?" Bryson asked, breaking the long silence that filled the car ride. I thought about it for a second while looking at the options.

"Black raspberry," I said with a smile. Bryson walked up, ordering for both of us. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders as we waited for our ice cream. Every couple of seconds I would look at him, trying to understand everything that happened the last couple of weeks. Once our ice cream came out, Bryson grabbed it, handing me mine.

"Let's go for a walk?" Bryson asked. I nodded in agreement and we headed towards the park just down the road. Once again, it was silent, but it wasn't an awkward silence. I licked my ice cream was we walked. "Looks like you could do wonders with that tongue," Bryson said, causing me to choke on my ice cream and him bursting into laughter.

"So not funny," I said, pushing him. He was like a wall; he didn't move at all. Once he stopped laughing, he grabbed my hand in his. What is going on? Although I liked the idea of us being nice to each other, I still wasn't use to it. We had gone years being down right mean to each other. Once we got to the park, we sat down on a bench, finishing our ice cream. I wanted to ask him about the party, and everything that had gone on, but I didn't have the balls enough to do it. I could tell that Bryson knew I was thinking about something because he had his head cocked to the side, staring at me. I could feel the heat going to my face, still not sure what to say.

"What's up?" Bryson asked. I shrugged my shoulders. I felt that if I said anything, I would ruin everything we've gone through. One wrong thing and he could go back to hating me. "Talk to me," Bryson said, but not in a harsh tone.

"What is this?" I asked Bryson, not looking up from the ground. I knew he was still looking at me; I could feel his eyes burning into me.

"What is what?" He asked, seeming genuinely confused. I shrugged my shoulders again. I wasn't one who was big on talking about feelings. Emmy was the only person I could talk to about them, but I hadn't even talked to her about Bryson that much.

"Nevermind, it's stupid." Bryson grabbed my chin, lifting it up so our eyes were meeting.

"Nothing you have to say is stupid, Riley." The way he said my name made my body weak. It was a good thing I was sitting because I probably would have dropped to the ground.

"What's going on with us?" I asked, looking away again. It took Bryson a minute to answer, and I wasn't sure if he was truly thinking about it, or if he was trying to come up with some bullshit answer.

"I don't know, Riley." There he goes again, saying my name that way. "All I know is that I like it. I like that we don't fight anymore." A small smile formed on my lips. "Let's get you to my house before mom and Emmy come looking for us." I chuckled and we headed back to his car.
----------------------------------------------

What did you think about Riley and Bryson's brief heart to heart?

I know I said Tamara was going to be in here, but I promise she will be in the next chapter! I'm sorry that this is so short. It was kind of a filler, but the next chapter will definitely be better!

I sort of out a description of Bryson, so if you can think of someone that fits that description, let me know! I really want to get a cast list!

Teaser: first chapter in someone else's POV! And it will be Bryson's ;) huge twist to!

Quick note: some chapters will be in other characters POV just so you can see the story trough their eyes, and so I can put spins in the book! I will always tell you who's POV it will be in the chapter title (only if it's someone other than Riley)