Chapter Twenty-four

Today was going to be a hard day. It didn't take much to make me cry as I got dressed. I looked at myself in the mirror. My black skinny jeans stopped at my ankle, met with combat boots. I wore a lacy black tank top, and a blazer over it. I kept reapplying my makeup as the tears came down, smudging it. Eventually, I got frustrated and gave up.

"Riley, honey, you ready?" Angela called up to me. I grabbed my clutch and headed downstairs.

"As ready as I'll ever be," I mumbled, heading out the door. We were meeting the Carter's at the funeral home. I got into the car, slouching in my seat.

"It'll get easier, honey. Just remember, this is a celebration of her life and all the great things she did. After this, it'll be easier."

"Mhm," I said, watching out the window. I could only imagine how Bryson and Emmy were taking this. It didn't take us long to get to the funeral home. We were greeted by Mr. C outside. He gave us both a hug and showed us inside. The room was set up beautifully. They had roses, momma C's favorite flower, everywhere. They had soft music playing in the background along with poster boards of pictures. I could feel the tears building up, and I tried to fight them off. They were having an open casket, and I knew that was going to be the hardest part. When my eyes found momma C's lifeless body laying in the casket, I lost it. I could no longer hold back the tears. Angela wrapped her arms around me.

"We'll be starting shortly," the funeral director said. Angela and I took our seats. They were having the funeral at the funeral home, and from there, the casket would be moved to the cemetery where we would go to watch the burial. I couldn't help but wonder where Bryson and Emmy were. I hadn't seen them since we arrived. My question was soon answered when they both walked in, taking a seat at the front.

~~~~

The funeral held a lot of tears, but also a lot of laughter of the memories and good times everyone had shared with momma C. Once the funeral was over, Angela and I walked out to the cemetery. We gathered right in front with Emmy. Where's Bryson and Mr. C? Music started playing from the speakers set up outside. Soon, a group of six men came walking out with the casket in hand. As they got closer, I realized that Mr. C and Bryson were right up front, carrying the casket. I could see the tears rolling down Bryson's face, and I knew how hard that must have been for him. Once they got the casket placed where it needed to be, Bryson stood next to me. I wrapped my arm around his waist, and he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. I missed his cheek, hoping he knew I was there for him. He shot me a quick smile before paying attention the the many words that were soon to follow.

~~~~

"Bryson, this turned out great," I said as I walked over to Bryson. He smiled at me, and I could tell that he calmed down a lot. This was the part where everyone got together to celebrate the good times. Bryson wrapped his arm around me, pulling me close.

"Thank you," Bryson whispered into my ear. I glanced at him, confused as to why he was thanking me.

"For what?"

"For being here for me through everything." I kissed his cheek, and he smiled.

"Is my job. I love you, Bryson, and nothing kills me more than to see you upset."

The night passed rather quickly with a lot of food, dancing, drinking, and laughing. Everyone seemed to be having a good time. I had lost track of Bryson after a little while because he had to go make his rounds to see everyone. I was standing back in the corner by the door, getting tired. A hand grabbed my wrist and pulled me outside. I screamed, but laughed when I saw Bryson. He pushed me back up against the wall, kissing me passionately. When I pulled away, I could smell the alcohol on his breath.

"Are you drunk?" I asked. He just chuckled, pulling me close to him. He nuzzled his head into the nape of my neck.

"Did I tell you how sexy you looked tonight?" He said, slurring his words. I giggled, rubbing his back.

"I should take you home," I said. "Stay put." I went inside to grab the keys from Angela. I quickly told her about Bryson and she laughed, handing me the keys. Bryson was still in the same spot and I dragged him towards the car. I got him buckled up in the front seat and got in the car, driving to his house. It was quite hard trying to carry his dead weight into the house, but I managed to get him to his room. I took off his shoes and got him on to his bed.

"Come here," he said, grabbing my arm. I went to the bed, sitting next to him. He pulled me down, placing his lips on mine. His hand slowly started to move up my tank top, but I pulled back.

"Bryson, you're drunk. You need to sleep." He groaned in frustration, still playing with my shirt.

"But I want you," he said. I shook my head, standing up.

"Not tonight. Go to sleep." He nodded and buried his head into his pillows. I turned the lights off, closing the door quietly. He was asleep before I made it out of the room. I went down the stairs and out to my car. All I could think about was Bryson on my way home. I was thinking about him going to college and leaving me behind. I quickly shook those thoughts out of my head and went to bed right after getting home.
-------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the crappy ending .-. Sometimes I just don't know how to end a chapter.

What did you guys think? I just wanted to give you all a heads up that the next chapter will be after graduation. It'll be right before Bryson leaves for college. I feel like I need to do a little hop in time or the story will just drag on forever.

Teaser: Bryson gets ready for college.