Chapter Nineteen

Everything had fallen into place. Bryson was mine; that was hard to swallow. After all these years of hatred and fighting, he's mine. I laid back in my bed, staring at the ceiling. It didn't take long for me to fall asleep, lights on. I was woken by someone shaking me.

"Riley, sweetie, it's time to get up." When I realized who it was, I shot up from my bed and looked at the alarm clock.

"Shit, I forgot to set my alarm again." Angela laughed, shaking her head.

"The lights were on, so I figured you didn't do much of anything last night." I smiled as the memories from last night came flooding back. "What's got you so smiley?" I laughed.

"Bryson asked me out last night. It just seems too good to be true after everything that we've been through." She smiles and wraps me in a tight hug.

"I'm so happy for you! Now, hurry up and get dressed. Your breakfast will get cold." I nodded and she walked out of my room. I knew this was going to be a good day.

~~~~

On my way to school, all I could think about was Bryson. Did he tell Emmy? What about his friends? Are they going to accept me? What is the rest of the school going to think? Who am I kidding? I've never cared what people think. I knew that whatever life was going to throw at us, we could get through it. The parking lot was nearly empty when I pulled in. I parked my car and shoved my books into my bag. I threw my bag over my shoulder as I made sure my car was locked. Just as I assumed, there wasn't many people in the school either. I knew I wasn't that early. Usually Emmy would be here by now. After shoving the books I didn't need I to my locker, I pulled out my phone to text Emmy.

Riley- where are you?

I headed towards the cafeteria to find a table. Some kids were standing in line getting breakfast, and I shuddered at the thought of eating the schools breakfast. It never looked appetizing. My phone started vibrating furiously off the table, and I grabbed it seeing a text from Emmy.

Emmy- on my way!

I smiled at my phone. Emmy and I hadn't really hung out since she helped me pick the outfit for my date with Bryson. It wasn't long before Emmy came trotting into the cafeteria with a tired looking Bryson behind her.

"Hello, darling," Emmy said with a smile.

"Hey, stranger." I looked back at Bryson who had taken a seat, but his head was down looking at his feet. What's up with him? I shrugged it off. Maybe he's just tired. Bryson looked up briefly, catching my eyes. He shot me a quick smile, but it didn't reach his eyes. I smiled back. I looked at Emmy who just shrugged her shoulders. She plopped down on the bench next to me.

"So, my mom wants you to come over for dinner tonight," she said with a smile. I saw Bryson tense up at the mention of his mother. Did they have a fight?

"Yeah, of course. I'll head there after school." I returned the smile, but I kept my focus on Bryson. Something was just weird about him. The bell for first block rang, interrupting my thoughts.

"I'll catch you later," Emmy said, waving us off. I got up, grabbing my bag.

"You coming?" I asked Bryson, who was still glued to his hands.

"Huh? Oh, yeah." He stood up, grabbing his bag. We had first block together, so it was nice that he could walk me to class.

"What's wrong?" He snapped his attention away from his feet and looked me at.

"Nothing's wrong. I'm just tired." Once again, I shrugged it off. He probably was just tired.

~~~~