epilogue: to love her right

Izuku Midoriya held his cellphone to his ear, tapping his foot on the pathway leading to the Takoba Municipal Beach Park. He wore his U.A. uniform, his old, yellow backpack hanging off one shoulder, one of the straps having a fraying, silk ribbon tied to it.

He stared at the sun that danced across the gentle waves, his fluffy forest hair blowing out of his freckled, scarred face. It was a cool, spring afternoon, so he didn't mind standing right in front of the setting sun.

At eighteen years old he was already a well-known hero who was infamous for having One For All, the quirk that defeated All For One over a year ago now. Even now they were still trying to build a new reputation around heroes to mend the damage done during the war against the Meta Liberation Army and the rampant villains who'd escaped Tartarus.

Life had been as peaceful as a hero's life could get.

He clicked his tongue as he heard his old mentor's obnoxiously annoying voicemail echo through his phone for the one-hundredth time that afternoon.

All Might had asked to meet him at the beach the day before graduation. It was a request that made sense, given it was the place where it all began. But clearly, All Might was running late.

He tucked his phone into his pocket, crossing his toned, scarred arms to his chest before he contemplated going onto the beach. Seeing as the clean beach was empty due to the cold winds, he decided to wander onto the beach, his sneakers sinking into the sand.

Izuku inhaled the salty air, a golden glow illuminating his tanned skin as he admired the sunset. He felt a little dumb just standing on a beautiful beach alone, it was such a nice afternoon.

He furrowed his brows as a familiar smell wafted in the wind towards him, the male sniffing the air behind he looked around.

That was when he spotted her.

Yui Fujimura.

A girl his age who sat on top of the wall of the staircase leading back up to the park, her Mary Janes dangling way above the sand. Her waist length, wavy hair was half tied out of her face, two curly strands blowing out of her face as she hunched over a sketchbook.

She was staring right at him, a gentle smile on her glossy lips as she closed one eye, holding her pencil up to his smaller figure in the distance to get his proportions right.

As if his body had a mind of its own, he made his way to her, the girl's pencil lowering as she noticed his figure coming closer.

She wore a white sweater paired with a black skirt and stockings, a familiar blue, yellow and red All Might scarf hanging around her neck untied. She had a meatbun in her free hand, that's what was the source of the familiar smell.

Instantly, his mind jumped to a few years prior when his class had brought him back to U.A.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

[A year and a bit ago...]

A freshly bathed Izuku stood outside of Yui's dorm room, the boy in deep thought as he hesitated to wake her up. He'd been told by Bakugou back when they were all still outside U.A. that Yui was still unwell from their fight with Shigaraki and the Meta Liberation Army. Hence, she hadn't come with the rest of the class to retrieve him.

Now it was nearing bed time and he knew he had to apologise to Yui. He couldn't sleep peacefully knowing he hurt her.

"She's not here."

Izuku turned to the right to see Bakugou lingering in the dim hall, his hands stuff in his sweatpants pockets as he stood in the middle of the hall.