☾ celeste's unscripted meta: Yui Fujimura ☾

NOTE: this analysis is based on my own perceptions, research and opinions. These were just all the notes I took down to write this book. You are free to disagree and encouraged to share your own thoughts and opinions <3

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

YUI FUJIMURA (FOREWORD)

My OC's role was to be the person who Izuku needed; a true friend, someone who taught him how to respect himself and was the person who always cared for him the way he cared for others. Similarly to Kazumi Amano from 'Zing Boom', she points out the flaws of the hero system and doesn't take shit from anyone, something I really love to do when dealing with flawed characters like the ones in MHA. 

INSPIRATION

If you know anything about my writing style, I tend to write 'strong' female characters. I write 'strong' in quotations because in traditional media, females are typically portrayed as submissive damsels in distresses who are rescued by the leading male. In media today, the strength of a female is not typically a huge issue, especially since gender has become so fluid and unreliant on traditional 'female' and 'male' roles. 

But, for the sake of my meta, I will discuss this in a traditional manner as Yui is a cis female. 

My thoughts going into this was to create a 'strong' female character because she is placed in a supportive role throughout the book due to her Hanahaki and the style of her quirk. However, I tried to avoid making her overly dependent on the male characters, especially Izuku who was the source of her Hanahaki. The last thing I wanted her to be was a damsel in distress in an action packed universe like MHA. 

With her support systems (Aizawa, Kamui Woods, Katsuki) being male figures, I portrayed her as being the one who made all the decisions. Aizawa and Kamui Woods never forced her to have surgery and supported any decisions she chose to have. Although Bakugou pushed her around, she never shied away from his aggressive nature and even matched it. 

Not to mention that her relationship with female characters (Ochaco and Masami) were particularly healthy. I wanted a 'girls supporting girls' type of atmosphere, a recently emerging trope that I've been dying to write about (plus I really love Ochaco and couldn't do her character dirty).

I also wanted to make her an interesting character with very well-rounded relationships and high-strung values and beliefs, this will be discussed later in this meta. 

A BRIEF ANALYSIS ON YUI

Yui is a morally good, joyful and seemingly 'perfect' character that challenges the perceptions Izuku, Ochaco and Katsuki may have. She's compassionate and 'genuinely kind' but doesn't let people walk all over her; I find that healthy, kind characters with boundaries are rare to find in the media. 

I like to think that Yui has two sides to her; her father's side and her mother's side. She has her father's appearance, his appreciation for the present and his kind heart. While she has her mother's ambition, her strong-willed attitude and her impeccable emotional intelligence. Yui is the perfect combination of the two parents. 

Aforementioned in earlier chapters, Yui is written as '結' which means 'tie' or 'bond' in Japanese. Yui naturally brings people together whether this be her parents or her customers who purchase her flowers. Like the Goddess Iris, she's a symbol of communication which really highlights her role in the MHA universe. Not to mention that when she makes 'Iris' her hero name, she - like the Goddess Iris - is a source of support.