Flashback

"Morning mom. Morning dad." I say as I entered the kitchen.

I frowned when I saw nobody there.

"Mom? Dad?" I called out. No response.
"Mom? Dad? Where are you guys?" I ask a little louder.

I waited a couple minutes for a response. Nothing. I flinched when I heard whispers in the living room. I slowly tiptoed towards the voices jumping when my family comes out from behind the couch.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY CASSIDY!!!" I looked at my mom and dad smiling as they came towards me with hugs and kisses.

Jenna (my little sister) looked confused and tired as she leaned her head on my moms shoulder. I mean it is 8:00 in the morning and she's only 3. Dylan (my little brother) walked up to me handing me a box with a little red bow on it.

I gave him a smile and opened the box to find a necklace with a heart charm and the word family engraved on it.

"I got you a necklace. Dad helped me pick it out." he said looking at the ground shyly. I surprised him with a big hug and kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you so much Dylan. I love it!" He smiled back at me.

I'm so grateful to have my family. They mean everything to me. I don't know what I would do without them.

I've been looking forward for today.

Today is my 15th birthday and I can't wait to spend it with my family.

"Cassy!!" Jenna cried out. I laughed taking her out of my moms hands holding her in my own. I poke her nose and she giggles.

"Happy birthday honey. I can't believe my baby is 15 already. It seems like just yesterday we were changing your diapers." my mom said kissing me on the top of my head. Tears welled up in her eyes as she looked down at me and smiled.

"Mom don't cry again. You cry every year." I said rolling my eyes and letting out a little laugh.

"Hey I can't help it. That's what moms do." she responds laughing taking a hold of dads hand. I glance at him noticing his chuckle from mom as well.

"Happy birthday cupcake." he says landing a hand on my shoulder.

"Thanks guys." I didn't even notice the decorative balloons and streamers everywhere.
"Everything is so pretty."

"Your dad said you would like the colors. Come on kids, let's go eat breakfast." mom said leading us to the kitchen.

Later that evening...

So far today has been an amazing day. After breakfast we went to go pick up Sydney. Sydney is my best friend. I remember playing on the playground in 1st grade and falling off of the swing. She came over and asked me if I was ok and if I wanted to play with her and ever since then we've been inseparable.

We all went to the bowling alley after getting Sydney and spent the next couple hours having our own bowling tournament. My dad even made shirts and everything.

When it was his turn he slipped while trying to throw the ball which caused Sydney and I to laugh so hard we spit our soda out everywhere.

Once our time was up we got some pizza and went back home to play board games.

"Alright Cassidy, me and your dad have to go pick up your cake but we'll be back by four. You and Sydney will have to watch Dylan and Jenna while we're gone ok?" my mom said heading out the door.

"K mom. Bye, I love you!" I called out to them. They both simultaneously replied as they shut the door.

I turned to Sydney who was holding a screaming Jenna.

"Let me take her. She'll calm down in a minute." I told her grabbing Jenna and giving her the little pink pacifier.

We walked back in the living room continuing our game of monopoly.

Hours Later...

Mom and dad aren't back yet and I'm getting really worried. Sydney is sitting on the couch rocking a sleeping Jenna and Dylan is on the floor playing x-box.

I on the other hand, am standing by the window constantly moving the curtain to look in the driveway.

"Syd I'm getting worried. Where are they? They said they'd be back around four. It's now turning seven. Do you think it's just traffic? Maybe they ran out of gas. Should I call th...?"
I trailed off before Sydney interrupted me.

"Cass calm down. I'm sure they're on their way home" she reassured me.

I nodded trying to calm my breathing.

I instantly turned my head when I heard the doorbell.

I dashed towards the door and yanked it open. Two police officers stood in front of me, their radios producing mumbled words from other officers in the area.

"Excuse me miss. Are you Cassidy Andrews?" one of them asked me.

"Yes...?" I frowned at their presence. Why are they here?

"Hi, I'm officer Kenny and this is my partner officer Thomas." He said gesturing to the guy next to him. "I'm terribly sorry but there has been an incident involving your parents Ben and Amber Andrews" officer Kenny told me.

My heart starts to beat faster.

"What kind of incident?" I ask on the verge of tears.

"Well there has been an armed robbery at Mr.Malcom's bakery. Your parents happened to be there at the same time. The robber fired and your parents were..." he paused and looked me in the eyes.

By this time Sydney was standing by me holding my hand while Jenna slept soundly in her arms.

I told Dylan to go to his room. I had a feeling he shouldn't hear what they were about to say.

"Your parents were two out of the four people that were killed tonight" the officer let out.
"I'm so sorry for your loss. Please take your siblings and come down to the station with us. We have a few questions to ask you. We'll be waiting in our car when you're ready. Take your time." He said before leaving with officer Thomas to wait in their car.

I was numb. They're lying right? They have to be. There must be some kind of mistake. This isn't true. It can't be true. I glance over at Sydney and saw her eyes fill with tears as they dropped down her cheeks one by one.

That's when I realized it was true.

It was really happening. It wasn't a nightmare where I could pinch myself and wake up.

My parents are gone.