How Can A Person Know Everything At 18?

"Happy birthday!" Someone jumped onto my bed and woke me up from my good night's sleep. Taylor. She's always been huge about birthdays.

"Thanks," I mumble and pull my covers over me.

"Come on, wake up!" Taylor pulled my covers right off of me and grabbed my arms.

"Let me sleep," I groaned while trying to lean all of my weight back. It did nothing though. She successfully pulled me up into a sitting position.

"Today is your big day. You're an adult!" She excitedly said.

"Don't say that. It's terrifying." I rubbed my eyes and looked around my room for no reason.

"Get ready and come downstairs," She patted my knee before standing up.

"What time is it?" I asked her.

"10," She told me.

"Holy shit, I'm late to school Taylor!" I shrieked and jumped out of bed.

"Relax, it's your 18th birthday. You're not going to school today." She laughed. I stopped at the door of my closet.

"Wait what?" I asked.

"It's your first day of adulthood and maybe this isn't good parenting or whatever but I'm not your mom so," Taylor smirked. "As your sister, I say you should take the day off and have fun."

"You are seriously the best," I flash her a big smile.

"I know," She said and walked out of my room.

Feeling much calmer, I opened the door to my closet and looked around. I could wear something comfy but I also wanted to look nice since it's my 18th birthday.

After a lot of staring and overthinking, I chose to wear a black, short flared dress from Dior that Taylor got me last summer. The buttons have stars on them and there's a ribbon tie at the waist.

"Taylor! Can you do my hair?" I called down the stairs once I was done changing.

"Coming!" She yelled from wherever she was. I made my way over to my bathroom. I know I'm 18 already but it's so hard to do my hair. I can do a ponytail and that's it.

"Any requests?" She asked me as she entered my bathroom.

"Not really," I shrugged. She nodded and grabbed my brush.

Taylor did a small braid on each side of my head and tied it in the back. She was really good at these things.

"Come on, let's go downstairs," Taylor put her arm around my shoulder and led me to the stairs.

"I honestly can't believe I'm older than baby Taylor that recorded the songs on Fearless," I told her. "You had already written huge hits at my age but all I've done is become mentally ill." I laughed and looked over at Taylor to find her looking serious and a bit concerned. "Oh come on, that was funny." I rolled my eyes. "You need to laugh more because humor is how I cope and if you don't laugh-"

"Surprise!" I jumped and screamed and hid behind Taylor. "Happy birthday Skylar!" The group said loudly in unison. I looked in the direction that the voices were coming from to find at least 25 people in our living room, all with a party hat on their heads.

"Holy shit," I finally said. "What the hell you guys, you scared the shit out of me!" I laughed and looked around the room.

"I invited a few of your friends over for a party," Taylor explained.

"This is gonna be so fun," I smiled and went over to the closest person to give them a hug. I greeted everyone and had a small talk with them before the lights went out.