Chapter Seven

After at least an hour of assessing questions from Doctor Shing, I was left to myself to wade through my many racing thoughts.

Was she real?

What did she mean 'we were supposed to be okay'?

And not to trust anyone?

So many thoughts in my small racing mind overwhelmed me to the point of standing and pacing through the room. I need to figure out what's happening and why, now.

The floral privacy curtain was pulled shut once more, leaving my small room all to itself. I shuffled, with my IV in place, to the  small window on the side wall, gazing out to the ground below. Outside I could see the parking garage and the highway beyond. Thats when something strange caught my eye.

There're no cars on the highway.

Confusion rattled my bones. Why are there no cars on the highway? This is the city; the highway never has a quiet day and even if it did there would still be at least one car.

Confused and frustrated I pushed the window upward to bring in some fresh air. To my suprise the window did not budge, it stayed firmly in place, almost as if it was glued and made that was. I looked up at it and noticed the locks on it fully undone.

So, it opens, but it doesn't? I mean, why have locks if it didn't open.

Sighing I shuffled back towards the bed. How long have I even been asleep for? Mom never came back to check on me after she went to call Steven, my brother. Instead of sitting, an idea formed in my head. I walked toward the door, slowly pulling it open and peering out into the hallway to check for Doctor Shing or mom.

The coast is clear.

Quickly, I rushed into the large hospital corridor with my IV following steadily beside me. I checked to make sure my hospital gown was pulled tight and thanked the lord for these hospital grippy socks on my feet otherwise, I think I'd have already fallen.

The corridor was dimly lit and slightly eerie. I turned my head side to side as I walked, passing an empty nurse's station and many closed doors.

All sealed with no sound coming out.

I upped my pace some as I saw the lights flickering a bit up ahead next to a sign that read Elevator. Upon meeting the end of the hallway where the sign sat, istead of an elavator greeting me, I was met with another hallway turning to the left.

What's going on?

Despite my better judgement I shook this off and continued down the next hallway. This one was oddly identical to the last, matching the same empty nurses' station and sealed doors. My heart stopped as I was met with the door that entered my hospital room, wide open and waiting for me.

A wrong turn. I had to have taken a wrong turn on my walk.

Where though? I had been walking straight till I took that left turn.

I gulped down the hard lump in my throat and moved onward, down the hallway once more.

This can't be happening.

As I walked, I had to stop dead in my tracks. The sign was there again.

Elevator.

Instead of turning around like I should have or making a rash decision I went against my better judgement once again and raced down the corridor.

Another hallway.

What's happening?

I dropped to my knees with one thought on my mind.

I'm crazy.

No, no. I can't be crazy, it's just the medication. The IV.

I Looked to my side at the IV, still in place in my forearm.

One way to find out.

I reached over and ripped it out, and like all the times before, no blood.

Throwing it far away from me with a grunt of frustration, the IV bag skidded down the dim corridor I had just once walked from, whatever fluids inside, spilling onto the tiled floor.

With a shaky breath I stood. If I am crazy or having a side effect maybe I should find a nurse or even, Doctor Shing to help me.

Pushing back all of the fear I held, I started walking down the identical corridor once again.

But something was different.

A faint noise sounded from one of the closed rooms.

A scratching -hissing- noise. So quiet I could barely hear it.

"Hello?" I called out hesitantly. The only response was the noise getting louder. "Hello?" I called out again much louder than before.

The noise was getting so loud I felt as if I was drowning in it.

"Hello!" I screamed as I held my hands to my ears as an attempt to block out the dreadful noise. To no avail, I was being submerged in the sound.

I rushed forward to the door, placing my hand upon the handel. When all of the noise stopped.

Now just a hushed whisper lingered in the air.

I know I shouldn't go inside. But that's one of humanity's worst flaws, isn't it? Curiosity fed by fear. Curiosity has and will be the fall of many and it may just be mine as well.