Chapter fourty

Mumbai

Shraddha was mute when Anand brought her downstairs. Her soul fled back to the past during her happy days with her mother. She was weeping internally with no tears seen. She could still picture when she would go to the kitchen to stop her mother from doing all the chores. She would ask her to just sit and keep her company while she does it for her. The good happy days when all they needed in life was each other. They were each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Anand learned from the Inspector about Riya's complaint. She was accusing Shraddha of abducting her daughter yesterday and hiding her. He wondered how such a thought could even cross her mind. However, he went to her to clear the misunderstanding.

"Shraddha didn't leave home yesterday."

Riya had a grim face as Anand spoke to her.

"I'm serious. If you don't believe me, feel free to check the cctv footage." he told her.

Her eyes paired with his and in them, Anand saw no trust for him.

"Stay away!" she gritted her teeth and snarled.

"My sister, I'm also worried about your child. She's my daughter too, but Shraddha will never kidnap her. Think about it. What reason will she have to take her? Suppose she did, where will she hide her? Shraddha doesn't know anyone or any place in Mumbai. We can't say she took her out of the city. She has no money. I gave her a phone last night. She had no means of communication with an outsider. She didn't do it. Please take back the complaint. We'll inform the police without arresting anyone. My niece will be found if we look for her together." Anand calmly explained to her.

"I've watched the cctv footage you mentioned. Shraddha met with a lady yesterday. She escorted her to the gate and now, the lady is missing. The police are still searching for her because my child might be with her. I will do everything to get her back." she exclaimed appearing strong. Towards the end of her statement, she burst into an uncontrollable cry. Anand embraced her and rubbed her back continuously to provide her with some relief. He was also breaking inside. First with his niece's disappearance and next, with Shraddha about to be arrested.

"Which of the children went missing?" he mumbled.

"The child that made me become a mother. The child that gave me the joys of motherhood. My first child. My spring."

"How did it happen?"

"She sent them to attack us. I fought with those men all by myself Anand and in the end, still couldn't protect my daughter. All because of your witch of a wife." her gaze looked at Shraddha who was lost in a different world. Shraddha wasn't listening to them nor did she care about what Riya was accusing her of. Her mind was at Ladnun. The inspector put handcuffs on her and as he tightened it, she flinched and roused from her thoughts.

"We're taking her to the station for interrogation. She'll appear before the court for a final verdict in two days. In the meantime, she has to stay in jail."

"I have to go to my mother," Shraddha looked at her hands gaining the attention of Anand. She looked at everyone around her not recognizing any of them. She was looking for her mother's face there. She panicked when she didn't see her and ran out to go to Ladnun and check on her.

"Close the gate!" The inspector shouted to the guards there. Upon reaching, the gates closed on Shraddha's face. Her eyes tried to search for an escape route to go reunite with her mother. She was in denial with the death. His team reached her and grasped her to keep her in place.

Anand appeared along with his sister. He went over to Shraddha and his fierce gaze made the female officers release her.

"I have to go to my mother. Now!" Shraddha lashed at the unfamiliar man in front of her. "Tell them to open the gate. Tell them to remove this thing on my wrists. Just because I don't express it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. I have to go visit my mother!"