━━━ Chapter Fifteen . I Learned French For You!

The air was cold but in a refreshing way, not too breezy but not humid. Maeve could feel her heart beating and she was soon convinced that it would fall out of her chest at any given moment. She wondered if Eli felt the same.

It was dark out, the only thing shining was the street lights and the sparkles in Maeve's eyes. Eli noticed that a few months ago and it made him nervous. Her eyes only ever did that when it was dark.

"I-" "I-" The two then spoke at the same time, causing them to let out an awkward laugh. "You go first." Eli insisted.

"I'm sorry about what happened the other day." She started, suddenly feeling her hands sweating like crazy.

"Why are you apologizing?" Elijah pulled a confused face. "I'm sorry for...y'know, kissing you." He told her nervously.

Maeve glanced up at him, "do you regret it?" She questioned as she payed attention to his tone of voice.

"What?" He stumbled over his words. "Of course I don't regret it." He instantly reassured her. "Do you?" Eli asked.

There was a long pause and Maeve felt as if she was suffocating. Deep down, she knew what her answer was. Of course she didn't regret it but she couldn't.

"Never mind." Elijah interrupted her thoughts, speaking with a slight attitude before walking off.

Shit, Maeve thought to herself as she quickly chased after him. "Eli, wait!" She yelled, trying to get his attention.

He ignored her but that didn't stop Maeve from talking to him. "Please." Her voice
cracked as she stopped running.

Elijah then stopped in his tracks, "I learned French for you!" He raised his voice slightly.

"What?" Maeve was both shocked and confused at his words.

"Juno texted me and told me about how you needed a tutor so I agreed." He explained. "I actually know fuck all about French." Eli let out a small laugh.

Maeve was completely blown away by what he had just said to her and didn't know what to feel about it. "That doesn't- why would you agree if you don't know it?" She started to stumble over her words.

"Why do you think?" Eli questioned, shaking his head in disbelief of how unaware she was with what he was trying to say. "I mean, I didn't learn French because I was bored." He continued to tell her.

"And even though I'm pretty sure you hate my guts, I'm still fucking in love with you." He then confessed, feeling his heart race as he waited for a response.

"No, Eli, you don't mean that. You can't be in love with me!" Maeve raised her voice slightly.

"Why not?" Eli asked in a confused tone.

"Because you deserve better!" Maeve yelled, "You shouldn't have to waste your love on someone who doesn't deserve it."

"And what makes me so special?" He responded, getting annoyed.

Maeve sighed, "you're you." She simply replied.

"What does that even mean, Maeve? You're talking in riddles and I don't understand." Eli stated in frustration at what she was saying.

"You don't love me, Eli." Maeve began to argue.

"You don't get to tell me how to feel. I love you, Maeve and if you don't feel the same way, then at least have the guts to tell me the truth!" Elijah argued back.

"I learned a completely different language to help you and you don't even care!" He added, attempting to make a point.

"I didn't ask you to do that." Maeve continued to say to him.

"Yeah, I know that but I did it anyway. Do you seriously think I'd do it because I don't like you?" Eli professed to her.

"I'm not gonna stand here and argue with you." Maeve crossed her arms as it was starting to get cold but she had forgotten to bring a coat with her.

"Then tell me the truth! Yes or no, do you feel the same way?" Eli continued, trying to keep his tone down.

Just as Maeve tried to think of the right words to use, it started to rain. God, could this be any more cliche? She thought to herself.

She didn't even care about her hair getting wet, in fact, she was more upset about her converse getting damp.

Elijah scoffed as she didn't say a word to him, "I got my answer." He shrugged his shoulders before turning around and walking back to where he was going.

Maeve watched as he walked away, leaving her in the pouring rain. She'd fucked up big time and she wished she'd had the guts to tell him how she really felt.

Fuck, fuck, fuck. Of course you had to go and ruin everything. Her brain just wouldn't stop, it kept going on and on.

Shut up, just shut the fuck up. She kept saying in her head.

Maeve then started to walk home in hopes of Eli not being there, it would only make things worse for them.

She pulled out her phone and looked at the time. It was 1:04am and she just wanted to sleep and forget this day had ever happened. Her phone kept going off, she was getting texts from different people, all of them asking where she was and if she was okay.

Obviously Maeve knew the truth but they didn't need to know, it was her problem, not theirs.

But to stop them from worrying, she sent them back a text, telling them not to worry and that she was okay.

Her heart began to ache, it had never ached this much and she genuinely thought she was having a heart attack. She could practically feel it cracking into tiny pieces but that was probably a dramatic reaction.

Her eyes started to well up as she walked home in the rain. She hoped that her tears and the rain would blend in together so nobody would question if she was crying because that would mean she'd have to explain everything and that was the last thing she wanted to do.

Juno was probably waiting by the doorstep for her to come home and she most likely knew about what happened with her and Eli because Bobby isn't good at keeping things to himself.

So when Maeve finally got home, she waited for the questions and for the answer to Eli's question. Does she love him?

MILLIE SPEAKS !heyyyyy so ik i haven't been active but a lot has happened the past week

MILLIE SPEAKS !
heyyyyy so ik i haven't been active but a lot has happened the past week. i was on holiday and when i got back, i got the most awful bug 😭😭 but im back now!!!

also, i know i said that i'd post the last chapter of act one before i went away but something happened in my family and i just couldn't write. i also didn't want to rush it, if that makes sense???

anywayyss i hope u enjoyed this chapter!!!! and act two is coming soon.........