Chapter 3

I finally make it to reading and as expected I was late. I knocked on the door only to be greeted by an abrupt silence. Next thing I know the door swings open forcing me to come face to face with the teacher, Mrs. Mitchell.

"You're late. Just when I was beginning to think you are taking your education seriously. Do you not wish to raise your rank y/n. Do you not wish to make our elites proud by diligently serving under them"

Mrs. Mitchell shoots me an accusing look as she talks down to me. After her small rant she finally opens the door completely allowing me to come inside.

I look around as I do my walk of shame towards my desk only to be met with rude stares, whispering gossipers, and slight giggling due to my tardiness.

I wish I could say I care but I don't. After everything I went through, this means nothing to me.

Once I finally reach my seat I notice...Shae sitting next to my seat. Usually no one wants to sit next to me in this class but I guess Shae is different. Well that or we are out of seats and the one next to mines is the only one left. In order to preserve my feelings I mentally choose the first option.

Either way, I can't help but feel slightly excited knowing me and Shae are in the same class again. I smile towards Shae as I take my seat. She smiles back as the teacher continues her lesson on perfect penmanship.

I shyly face the board to focus on the lesson only to feel Shae's knee slightly bump into mines. I look at her questioningly only to realize she was already looking at me.

"I can't help but notice there is only girls in this class. Come to think of it even in home ec the girls and boys were separated. Would you happen to know why?" She whispers, not wishing to get in trouble on her first day.

I blink. "You don't know?" I whispered back with a slight tilt of my head.

"Don't know what?" She looks at me confused and maybe even a little, frustrated? Upset? I'm not sure.

Whatever the other emotion must be, I'm still at a lost. How does she not know? Has she not been introduced to the ranking system yet? Then again how could she know, she's new to this town so of course she wouldn't know.

I pause for a moment. Now that I think of it, how did she get let in? The elites don't let any new comers into town nor do they let any town folks out. Why was Shae an exception?

I shake my head slightly and notify Shae that I'll explain later. She nods and we both turn to focus on the lesson.

Once class is over we all start packing up for our break period. Me and Shae are the last to leave as Mrs. Mitchell wishes us a nice day...well she wishes Shae a nice day. She just looked at me with a disappointed look and a shake of the head while her arms were crossed over her chest.

I roll my eyes at our teacher's shame in me and continued down the corridor with Shae towards the library. Once we make it to the library we get settled into some bean bags in the back.

"Okay now can you explain to me why the girls and boys are segregated" I sigh and move my bean bag in front of Shae's.

"Okay okay let me think, how am I gonna explain this in 35 minutes or less" I tap my chin with my index with a perplexed look.

"I don't know but you better figure it out quick" Shae says lifting her trimmed brow.

Wow, the attitude is really showing. For a moment she sounded like Aimiah when a student pisses her off or when she is degrading the boys.

"Right. The males and females are separated due to the elites ranking system."

Shae blinks a few times before following her lost look with a "who?"

I sigh. "Midtown Island has five select females, the elites, who run the town and implement the rules."

"But why have five random women hold a whole town in the palm of their hand" Shae says bewildered as her eyes widen slightly.

"They're not random women. They're goddesses that decended from the sky to bless our town back in the 1300s when we needed them the most. They delivered food, water, and order. For that Midtown worshipped them. As time went on society outcast our town and built a moat between the main land and us, declaring Midtown an island. Which didn't really matter since the Mainland never really associated with us to begin with. However, the elites where infuriated by the lengths men would go to keep out what they couldn't understand. It also didn't help the elite's rage when they learned that Midtown had the highest rape count either. So the elites dubbed men inferior therefore dooming males to a rank they can never escape from."

"That still doesn't give me a full explaintion. How are these women goddesses? Does it not bother you that they fell from the sky? Why did the rest of the world shut you out and built a moat around your town? Why is this school separated into two wings, one for males and one for females? I don't understand."

I could see Shae starting to get a bit frustrated. Even going as far as to message her temples with her eyes close to calm down.

"I-I wish I could explain it to you but I can't."

I let out sigh looking down slightly only to see a hand come into my vision a few seconds afted and rest on my knee.

I look up to see Shae practically sitting on the edge of her bean bag as she looks at me with am encouraging smile.

"It's fine. Besides I have a feeling that the longer I stay here the more I'll learn about this place."

Shae let's go of my leg and moves back to her original position.

We sit in silence until I realize I have a question I really wanted to ask her since reading class.

"Hey Shae, how did you get into Midtown Island to begin with? The elites shields us from the world never letting anyone in or out. Plus our town has shifted out further into the sea. Meaning you would need a boat to get here and I doubt the mainland would be as kind as to lend you one. So how did you possibly make it in?"

"Oh um well I rather not talk about it."

Shae tilts her head slightly, giving a closed eye smile. She twirls a strand of hair on her index finger as she reveals her pearly moderatly bucked tooth teeth. Cute, but far from the answer I wanted.

"Fine, but you'll need to answer one of these days." I spoke in a half playful, half serious voice.

Shae opens her mouth to speak only for the librarian to show up out of nowhere, whispering for us to go to our next class.

Crazy how that didn't feel like 35 minutes. It only felt like a minute or so. Me and Shae packed our bags as the librarian leaves. We exchange our schedules only to find out we don't have anymore classes with each other for today, only lunch. With that in mind we quickly exchange numbers and make plans to eat with each other in lunch.

Once we are done we head towards the exit of the library, shoot each other a smile, and finally part ways.