Chapter 3

July 31st, 1991 - Afternoon.

It turned out that Agluk recommended over fifty books for her to read. Many of them weren't in Flourish and Blotts, but in a store down Knockturn Alley. Hadriana took advantage of her new Metamorphagus abilities and changed her facial features and hair color, hoping she looked generic enough that no one would look her way. She would have to practice the ability, so it didn’t feel so strange. As it was, it felt as though she was being tickled by a hundred feathers as her features changed.

The books recommended were about Wizarding Culture and what to expect as the Heir to an Ancient and Noble House, of which Hadriana was heir to five and it was necessary she knew what that meant. Others went into detail about the Wheel of the Year, which consisted of Imbolc, Ostara, Beltane, Litha, Lughnasadh, Mabon, Samhain and Yule - Wizarding Holidays thrown out to cater to the muggle-borns and their Christian holidays. She got drawn into one such book in the isle, eyes wide as she realized just how ignorant and stupid, she had become in her past life; this was her birth right, her fundamental culture.

Imbolc was celebrated to welcome spring, and the passing of winter and fraught times.

Ostara, Spring Equinox, was when day and night were equal. From then on, night declined and day lengthened.

Beltane, or May Day, was when the herds were driven to the summer pastures. In many places they were made to pass between two bonfires to rid them of evil influences.

Litha, midsummer solstice, in which the mystical marriage of heaven and Earth, God and Goddess make love.

Lughnasadh, or Lammas, commemorates Lugh, the Celtic god of light, and son of the sun. In the mythological story, the sun god transferred his power into the grain as it ripens, and was sacrificed when the grain is harvested, thus dying for his people so that they may live. It was then harvested and made into the first new bread of the season. Lammas was the festival celebrating the first fruits of harvest.

Mabon celebrated the Autumn Equinox, and how the darkness grew, and winter approached.

Samhain, one of the most important sabbath in pagan year, was the feast of the dead in pagan and Christian times. Its arrival signalled the close of harvest and the start of the winter season. This was a feared time when the “veil between the worlds” was thin, the barriers between the human and the supernatural worlds were broken. People took precautions against demons and evil power.

And finally, Yule, the longest night of the year, the festival was associated with the birth of older pagan gods, death and resurrection. Around this time, Judaism celebrated the festival of Hanukkah of lighting candles and family gatherings for eight days.

"You enjoy the Olde Ways?"

Hadriana jumped, looking up from the thick book she had pulled from the shelf during her perusal for books from Agluk's list, only to meet the curious, dark blue gaze of Lucius Malfoy. She blinked rapidly, idly wondering if Fate was pissing herself laughing at her misfortune - or fortune, depending on how one looked at it. Lucius Malfoy was either the best ally she could have, or the worst enemy. She hoped it was the former.

"Um, yes, sir," she replied, hugging the book to her chest, "It's really fascinating,"

Lord Malfoy smiled slightly, "Indeed it is, miss…?"

Hadriana's lips twitched, "Heiress Hadriana Potter-Black, sir,"

Lord Malfoy's eyes widened, "Heiress Potter-Black. I am Lord Lucius Malfoy, it's a pleasure to meet you,"

Hadriana allowed her features to return to normal and smiled, "You as well, Lord Malfoy. My family tree says we're related by marriage, sir, you can call me Hadriana,"