Chapter 8

Apparently, keeping the fact that you were acting out a diabolical master plan was extremely difficult when one had three limpets masquerading as friends following you around every hour of every day. Hadriana adored Draco, Blaise, and Theo, but she needed to be alone for her plan to work. With her friends sleeping in her rooms and all three of them being annoyingly light sleepers, she couldn’t sneak out at night to go through with her plan.

Then again, she was sure her friends would help her. But did she tell them she had returned from a future that should never happen? She wasn’t sure.

The three of them were sons of darkly aligned family’s, but did they even want Tom to return? Hadriana knew that Tom was less than warm and fuzzy before she ‘vanquished’ him ten years ago, but before that she knew he was a good leader. Severus had told him so, and she herself had caught a glimpse of that Tom in the memories held within the diary horcrux. He had been charismatic, handsome, ruthless, and efficient.

Theo’s grandfather, Theodorus, had been one of Tom’s original followers. She could ask Theo, but she doubted that his grandfather sat around waxing poetic about ‘the good old days’ to his grandson when he was the head of the Nott family. Theo’s dad was in Azkaban for killing his wife, Theo’s mum, once she’d given him an heir. Hadriana had done her research. Theo’s dad was scum.

Blaise’s mum was staunchly neutral but leaned toward the dark, and was far too young to have known the Tom before insanity set in. Hadriana admired the woman greatly, even if she was a Black Widow.

Draco’s parents, Hadriana knew wanted the reforms that Tom had originally laid out. But they hated what he’d become. The insane, twisted man that tossed out crucio’s like candies on muggle Halloween. Perhaps she should speak to Lucius and Cissa. They’d be open and honest with her. Severus trusted them, and honestly, so did Hadriana herself. They had thoroughly endeared themselves to her, and she knew they didn’t have a deceitful bone in their bodies. They were brutally honest and open about how they felt for people. For instance, Cissa couldn’t stand the Parkinson’s. But as one of the sacred twenty-eight, they were invited to all formal balls, yet they were graspers at best. They had tried to organize a betrothal between Pansy and Draco, but Cissa had laughed them from the room.

Hadriana loved how brutal the Malfoy’s were. She had learned a lot from Cissa and Lucius both over the summer. The cold aloofness they used to greet those they deemed beneath them, the dignity and poise they exuded. It was a work of art watching them.

But back to her diabolical master plan: she had to find a way to escape the boys and sneak to the third floor. She knew her way around the obstacles Dumbledore and the other professors had made, but was the stone even there yet? She hadn’t found the Mirror of Erised, been chastised by Dumbledore, and realized that her parents were her heart’s desire.

Hadriana sighed and wondered about how she’d get her fathers cloak back. It was hers by right; but then again, why had James given it to Dumbledore of all people? Her father and mother had been in hiding.

There were so many questions she wanted answered. But who could give them to her? Dumbledore was as forthcoming with information as a mute. Severus was as clueless as she was, but as an adult he most likely had the better chance of getting said answers. Especially a spy as crafty as Severus Snape.

Perhaps Death could be of some help. But the deity was busy collecting souls and such, Hadriana didn’t want to inadvertently piss them off.

Hadriana groaned and buried her face in her pillow, ignoring Levi’s mother-henning as she took a moment to pity herself.

***

Albus Dumbledore had once prided himself on his intelligence and meticulous analytical planning skills. But the girl, Hadriana Potter-Black, had ruined all his plans begun decades ago. The plans had begun to bear fruit after Tom Riddle left Hogwarts and delved into dark soul magic. Manipulating those in the Ministry had been easy; witches and wizards were so laughably easy to maneuver.