Chapter 9

The man in the cell stared at his former lover. He was older, more weathered. His hair had lost its glossy, auburn shade and was now white. As white as he claimed his soul was. But Gellert knew better. He knew the real Albus Dumbledore; he knew the man that had delighted in torturing muggles, not befriending them.

“How are you these days, Gellert?” Albus asked, azure eyes gleaming maliciously.

Gellert rasped a laugh, “I cannot complain, Albus. I’m fed and watered...though I could do with more baths and blankets. It gets cold here, you know,”

Albus smiled thinly, “Indeed I do. And the heating charms would have worn off a while ago now, wouldn’t they? Hm, how unfortunate.”

Gellert bared his teeth, “Why are you here now, Albus? It’s been near to fifty years,”

“Perhaps I felt sentimental,” Albus murmured.

Gellert scoffed, “You don’t feel sentiment, Albus. Do you even have a heart?”

Albus’ eyes narrowed, “You are one to speak of hearts. You, who wished to rule over muggles like that Hitter man,”

“Hitler,” Gellert corrected, smirking when Albus' eyes flashed. He had always loathed being corrected, “And I did not want to rule them. I wanted witches and wizards separate from them. Have you begun to believe your own lies, Albus? Senility is a problem for men of our age,”

Albus ignored the taunt, “She’s at Hogwarts. She’s bent to my will,”

Gellert snarled wordlessly, “Ich werde dich an dem Tag, an dem du geboren wurdest, zur Rue bringen, Albus,”

Albus smiled, “No, you won’t. You’re locked up,”

Gellert turned away, yanking an old, threadbare blanket around his shoulders. When Albus spoke, he closed his eyes.

“She will be dead soon enough, old friend,”

***

Hadriana glared, trying valiantly to ignore the butterflies flapping about in her belly. The large, green statue looked exactly the same as it had previously. It seemed a little bigger, but then again, she was eleven and not twelve. Tom had asked this of her, as a favour, and Merlin damn her bleeding heart, she was going to do it. Even if her memories of this place were less than stellar.

Sighing, Hadriana hissed, ~ Speak to me Slytherin, Greatest of Hogwarts Four! ~

As the stone maw of Salazar Slytherin yawned open with a horrible grating noise, Hadriana squeezed her eyes shut and waited for death. Was she about to die by Basilisk after being brought back to save the world? How ironic.

~ Little speaker, ~ an ancient voice hissed, and Hadriana realised that the Basilisk was a female, ~ Why do you close your eyes? I would never hurt a child of my master, ~

Hadriana laughed a little hysterically, ~ Your gaze kills, oh mighty serpent, ~

The Basilisk emitted a slightly horrifying, hissy laugh, ~ Only if I want it to, little Speaker. I would never harm one touched by Mother Magic herself, even if my master told me to ~

Hadriana's eyes sprung open involuntarily, and she yelped upon realising just how close the Basilisk was to her face. It’s glowing yellow eyes seemed somewhat milky, and she realised, with no small amount of relief, that she wasn’t dead. Or petrified.

But then the Basilisk's words registered, and she stammered ~ Mother Magic? Touched? What? ~

The Basilisk shifted its large head away from Hadriana, peering at her closely, ~ The Great Mothers' mark is on your soul, little speaker. As is Lord Death’s ~