Chapter 5

Notes:
i hope you enjoy the chapter! i had to chop it in half because holy heck, it was long.

August 20th, 1991

After the custody trial, Cissa and Lucius did adopt her. The latter also begun a more in-depth teaching of Wizarding Culture, holidays, and politics. Cissa continued to teach her how to be a lady, which did consist of Hadriana walking around with a book on her head. The Malfoy's were dedicated to her education, and Hadriana was dedicated to learning. Thanks to the painful home truths she had learned, she realized that she had been so blinded by the, pardon the pun, magic of the Wizarding World and people liking her she had left herself vulnerable.

While Hadriana was busy with her education, Dumbledore's name was being dragged through the mud by Rita Skeeter's smear campaign. Hadriana had contacted her, suitably put the fear of Merlin in her, and ordered the woman to destroy him. Rita was all too happy to do so and had begun in-depth research on Dumbledore's life.

Dumbledore had already lost his position as Chief Warlock and was on probation with the International Confederation of Wizards and as Headmaster. Revenge tasted sweet. His downfall had begun, and he had unknowingly orchestrated his own destruction.

***

Being the Heir to five Ancient and Noble Houses meant alliances, and alliances meant meeting with other Ancient and Noble Houses. Hadriana's first meeting was with Dowager Longbottom and Heir Neville Longbottom; a little fact Hadriana hadn't known in her previous life was that Neville's mother Alice was her godmother, and Lily was Neville's. That made them god-siblings.

Because of Hadriana's rank in Wizarding Nobility, she was to be greeted first no matter her age. Dowager Longbottom did so with a derisive sniff. Clearly the woman thought her an empty-headed, traumatized child. Heir Longbottom looked mortified as he took her hand and kissed her knuckles.

"Heir Potter-Black, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." Neville bowed along with his words, stuttering only a little.

"The pleasure is mine, Heir Longbottom." Really, if the Dowager sniffed one more time, Hadriana was going to explode, "Please, have a seat,"

"Thank you," Neville mumbled, shuffling over to one of the chairs around the wrought iron table. Cissa had given Hadriana permission to use the conservatory for her tete-a-tete.

Hadriana sat and poured three cups of tea perfectly, as Cissa had taught her, "Sugar, milk?" She queried.

"No," her Ladyship said sternly.

"Yes, please," Neville all but whispered, still mortified.

Hadriana added a splash of milk and a sugar cube to Neville's tea, ignoring the Dowager's pinched expression. She sat back after, cradling her tea, "The Potters and Longbottom's have been allies in politics and, beyond that, friends for centuries. Our mothers were close friends - close enough to name each other the godmother of their children,"

Neville blinked, nodding his head, "Yes, they were," he said, spine slowly straightening.

"I propose we continue this alliance and friendship, Heir Longbottom," Hadriana suggested, smiling warmly.

Neville opened his mouth to reply, but Dowager Longbottom railed over him, "The Longbottom family are purely Light affiliated, Heiress Potter-Black." Hadriana narrowed her eyes at the sour old woman's tone; she'd all but spat the name Black out, contempt and hatred in her voice. Ah, yes. Bellatrix's role in torturing her son and daughter-in-law into insanity, "What is your affiliation, with the name Black attached to your name?"

And there it was. Dowager Longbottom disliked her, quite a lot it seemed, only because she held the name Black. That would not do.

Hadriana placed her teacup down and smiled politely, "My Core is Dark Neutral, Dowager Longbottom; though you must know how...invasive it is to ask any Wix what their Magical Affiliation is without knowing them beyond polite welcomes,"