Chapter 10

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE: FRIEND, LOVER, AND RIGHT HAND OF GELLERT GRINDLEWALD. WHO IS THE MAN BEHIND THE NAME?

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore was born to Percival Brian and Kendra Arianna Dumbledore in the summer of 1881, in the Wizarding town of Mould-on-the-Wold. After a year, Mr. and Mrs. Dumbledore welcomed a second child, Aberforth, and finally two years later they finally welcomed a daughter, Arianna. For many years, the family was as normal and happy as any wizarding family in Britain.

But then the unthinkable happened: at six years old, Arianna Dumbledore was attacked by several muggle boys for performing accidental magic in front of them, subsequently becoming what is most commonly known as an Obscurial (see pages 6-7 on Obscurials). Shortly thereafter, Percival was imprisoned in Azkaban for assaulting the three muggle boys who harmed his daughter. Mr Dumbledore died in Azkaban thirty years later.

Kendra Dumbledore thereafter moved herself and her children to Godric’s Hollow, ashamed of what her once high-standing family had become. With Albus and Aberforth away at Hogwarts (both of whom were sorted into Gryffindor and Ravenclaw respectively), Kendra remained home with young Arianna to care for her. Rarely were Kendra and Arianna seen outside of their small, modest home.

During his time at Hogwarts, Dumbledore is said to have been an intelligent and uncommonly kind young man. He befriended many, and was acclaimed by his teachers. Made prefect in his fifth year, and later Head Boy in his seventh, Albus was looked up to by many.

But under the genial façade lay a dangerously cunning, manipulative young man.

After graduating in 1899 from Hogwarts with several Outstanding NEWT scores, Albus Dumbledore prepared to tour the Wizarding World with his close friend, Elphias Dodge, yet tragedy once again struck. Kendra Dumbledore was killed in an outburst of Arianna's uncontrollable magic. Now the head of the Dumbledore family, Albus returned to Godric's Hollow full of bitterness toward his situation, believing his excellence wasted on caring for his younger siblings, though he refused to let young Aberforth leave Hogwarts to assist.

But a light of fortune appeared to shine on young Albus when his neighbor, Bathilda Bagshot, introduced him to her nephew: Gellert Grindlewald. Both boys recognized the brilliance in one another and struck up a quick, close friendship. A friendship that soon became a romance to rival any other.

Bathilda Bagshot fondly remembered the two as, “In their own world, truly and deeply in love. They wished to become the greatest wizards of all, no matter who stood in their way.”

Gellert and Albus began planning an insurgence for the Wizarding World, For the Greater Good – their slogan. Bathilda became pale and shaky when recounting overhearing the two boys speak of ruling the inferior muggles and muggle-borns of the world.

It stunned me, my dear readers, to hear that the Albus Dumbledore wished to rule muggles! But I remained quiet as Bathilda recounted what she heard: “They thought that muggles were scum, said so themselves. Albus said that the muggles who assaulted poor Arianna deserved worse than some boils and stinging hexes, that they deserved death. I was terribly shaken, to hear two young men speak of death so easily.”

I am, too, my dear readers! Albus Dumbledore fantasizing about the death of muggles! It seems almost blasphemous, doesn’t it?

Shortly after plans were made between Gellert and Albus, young Aberforth learned of their vision for the Wizarding World and was greatly disgusted and confronted his older brother. Albus, still bitter over having to care for his siblings, but aware that they needed a guardian, suggested that they have Bathilda check in on them; furious, Aberforth pulled his wand and threatened his brother to chose: his love, or his family.