Chapter 4

August 1st, 1991

If anyone had asked Severus Snape six months ago what he anticipated from the progeny of James Potter, he'd have told anyone and everyone that he expected untold chaos. Now, though, after waking up one February morning with memories of a former life lived and those not his own, he had to say that he had been completely wrong about Harry Potter.

Especially since he'd seen genuine tears and remorse in the girl’s emerald eyes as she held a hand to his torn-out throat, demanding essence of dittany. It wouldn't have worked, but his memories were more important than his life.

Severus knew what was coming. He had been shown a memory - Harry's memory - of what would become of the world in sixteen years. Unbelievable destruction. The end of the magical race. All because Albus too-many-names Dumbledore had outlawed important magic, had all but abolished the Olde Ways. Because he catered to the whims and wishes of muggle-borns and their Christian holidays. Because Hermione bloody Granger thought it intelligent to tell muggles about magic.

And the only people capable of fixing it were Harry Potter and the Dark Lord, supposed prophesied enemies.

But what if that wasn't true? What if that gods be damned prophesy wasn't real?

Severus didn't want to think about it. It had been he who overheard and delivered the prophesy to his Lord, dooming the sister of his heart to death. He had regretted it for decades.

The floo in his living room chimed and drew Severus from his spiralling thoughts. He looked up from the Potions magazine he had been staring blindly at for gods knew how long to see his old friend Lucius' face floating in emerald flames.

"Severus," Lucius greeted upon spotting him.

"Lucius, to what do I owe the pleasure?" He drawled, tossing the magazine onto the coffee table. He stood and approached the floo, dropping elegantly to his knees.

"Cissa and I are in need of your medi-wizardry, Sev," Lucius announced, brows creased with concern.

Severus felt panic grip him and leaned forward, "Is Draco all right?"

Lucius smiled gently, "Yes, Sev. I ran into Hadriana Potter in Hilliard and sons this morning. Sev, she's being abused by her muggle relatives,"

A cold hand wrapped around Severus' heart, and his breath stuttered in his chest, "Hadriana Potter?" He echoed; he knew of the abuse, he had seen it as he mercilessly tore into the girl’s mind in her fifth year, searching for the Horcrux Dumbledore feared she was. But he hadn't wanted to believe it.

"Yes. Will you come?" Lucius asked.

"Yes. Let me collect my kit," Severus said, rising to his feet.

After grabbing his emergency kit, Severus flood to Malfoy Manor. Lucius was still in the floo room, expression severe, "Thank you for this, Severus. Cissa and I trust no one else to be discreet for now. Cissa is with Hadriana as she speaks to Xavier Lestrange,"

Severus nodded, following Lucius down the hall at a brisk pace, "Very well. How bad is it, Lucius?"

"Her filthy uncle beat her with a belt," Lucius snarled.

Severus' breath caught. How had he not seen the severity of such abuse before?

Because you didn't want to, Severus, a voice, much like Lily's, whispered in his mind. He ruthlessly shoved it away and followed Lucius into his office.

Emerald green eyes met his, and he swallowed convulsively. "Give me the dittany, anything!" Memories of the last time he'd seen her flashed through his mind. "Take them. Take them. Look at me. You…have your mother's eyes."