Chapter 11

18th of December

The rest of the year flew by, and before she knew it Hadriana was boarding the Hogwarts Express for Yule. She sat between Theo and Draco, Blaise and, surprisingly, Pansy Parkinson across from them. The girl had approached Hadriana several weeks ago and apologised for being cruel on the train at the start of the year, and Hadriana had gingerly accepted. She would keep an eye on the girl, as she had never really had many interactions with her in either life, but for now she had the benefit of the doubt.

Draco had been unbearable for weeks. He kept fussing over her meeting with the Dark Lord. He was worried he was playing her, and would gut her with a blunt, rusted spoon or something. It had been adorable and funny in the beginning, now it was just annoying. She adored him for it, but he really did the whole, overbearing big brother thing really freaking well.

One good thing to come after Dumbledore manipulating the students back onto his side was that Hadriana and Severus’ diabolical plan had come to fruition. She had all but danced a happy jig when Severus informed her. Severus had laughed at her exuberance, which was as terrifying as it was a miracle to witness. Then he had ruined it all by reiterating that the plan hadn’t been diabolical.

Honestly. The man had no appreciation for her genius.

“Ana,” Theo said suddenly, “Grandfather has invited you for dinner tomorrow night,”

Hadriana turned and blinked at Theo, “Okay. Should I bring anything?”

Befuddled, Theo stared at her, “Why would you bring anything?”

“Sorry.” Hadriana shook her head and shrugged, “It’s a muggle thing, to bring a gift for the host. Most often a bottle of wine or something,”

Pansy delicately screwed up her nose, “How quaint,” she uttered disdainfully.

Hadriana leveled the girl with an unimpressed glare, “It’s polite,” she said coldly.

Pansy smiled thinly, sarcastically, “I’m sure it is,”

Hadriana truly didn’t know what to make of the girl. Draco had said that Parkinson’s apology was a way to work her way into Hadriana’s good graces. The Potter and Black families had a lot of clout in the Magical Community, and being friends with the last known member of both families, and the heiress, would elevate the Parkinson family to unimaginable Heights.

Perhaps Hadriana should rethink her acceptance of Pansy’s apology.

Looking away dismissively, Hadriana turned to Blaise, “Are you and your mother coming to the Malfoy Ball, Blaise?”

“Yes, we always do,” he said, smirking. He turned to Pansy, who looked sour, “Are you going, Parkinson?”

“No,” Pansy said bitterly, “My family has a prior engagement unfortunately,”

Hadriana smiled sharply, “Yes, how unfortunate,” she said sweetly, stifling the urge to laugh when Pansy clenched her jaw. Hadriana knew that the Parkinson’s hadn’t been invited; Cissa had told her.

The rest of the train ride went swiftly, and once the Express pulled into Kings Cross station Hadriana stood and exited with the boys. Standing by one of the pillars on the platform, Narcissa and Lucius both looked immaculate as always. Beside them was an older gentleman with Theo's eyes. Theodorus Nott, she presumed, speaking amiably to Lady Zabini.

“Grandfather,” Theo greeted, giving the man a side hug, “This is Heiress Hadriana Potter-Black,”

Hadriana smiled sweetly, “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Lord Nott,”