Chapter 12

Nott Manor was in an unplottable, sparse Village of North Wales inhabited by only witches and wizards. Theo had sent a raven informing her of the floo address so at five to six, Hadriana reluctantly floo’d over and tripped out into the Nott’s receiving room.

Theo laughed at her misfortune, doubled over at the waist. He was unable to help her up, so Lord Nott did, a small, amused smile on his face.

“Thank you, Lord Nott.” Hadriana shot Theo a glare, and he only laughed harder. Theodorus chuckled lightly, “Thank you for inviting me,”

“It’s my pleasure to have you, Hadriana. Please, let us go through to the dining room.” Theodorus glanced at a still chuckling Theo, “Theodore, are you well?”

“Heh, yes, grandfather,” Theo said, “Hello, Ana,”

Hadriana hugged her friend, lips twitching, “I really don’t like flooing,”

Theo snorted, “I know. You complained endlessly about it,”

Hadriana huffed and rolled her eyes, “I don’t complain, Theo,”

Theo raised a skeptical brow at her as they made their way down the hall to the living room; Theodorus led them into a modestly sized dining room with large windows overlooking a grand backyard and gardens; the table was set for three but could hold more, and Hadriana was sat to Theodorus’ left and Theo to his right.

“Elly!” Theodorus called, and a house-elf appeared wearing a cute, pleated dress in the Nott family colors, bronze and white-gold, “We are ready for the first course and refreshment,”

“Yessir,” Elly said, popping away.

Hadriana stifled the urge to thank the elf on Theodorus’ behalf and watched as their plates were full of a fresh, watercress salad and their goblets filled with sparkling, non-alcoholic cider for Hadriana and Theo and wine for Theodorus.

“Theo has told me that you’re somewhat of a prodigy, Hadriana?” Theodorus mused questioningly after they ate in silence for a while.

Hadriana smiled blandly, “Yes, well, after having to hide my intelligence while under the guardianship of my muggle relatives, I saw no reason to after Lucius and Narcissa adopted me,”

Theodorus nodded, “Yes, I read about that. Much of the article was…censored, I believe,”

“Per my request,” Hadriana explained, “I don’t want the world to know what I went through. I’m not some poor, abused orphan for old, wrinkled women to fuss over,”

Theo chuckled, “The day you let an old woman fuss over you is the day Blaise stops being a drama queen,”

“King,” Hadriana corrected, smirking.

Theodorus chuckled, “Blaise has always had a flair for the dramatics,”

Hadriana tried to fight off a smile but ultimately failed, “Yes, he is,” she said fondly, taking a sip of her cider.

Theodorus leveled Hadriana with a thoughtful look, “Theo tells me that you have interesting ideas and plans for the Wizarding World,”

Theo looked slightly mortified by his grandfather bluntness, but Hadriana merely smiled, “Indeed, I do, Lord Nott. From my personal experience, it’s clear that the Wizarding World is…behind the times. I was left with muggle relatives by a man not authorized to do such a thing, and no one batted an eye. I see the dangers muggles pose to the Wizarding World; not only do they fear that which is different, they kill first and ask questions later,”

“Indeed,” Theodorus mused, dabbing at his mouth with a linen napkin as he stared at her approvingly, “So you dislike muggles?”

“It’s not that I dislike them, Theodorus, but rather that I mistrust them,” Hadriana explained, smiling sharply. Theo sighed, looking resigned, as she continued, “Whenever muggles are faced with someone or something other they have an incessant need to…dissect it and use it to their own gain; imagine what they would do if they discovered witches and wizards and figured out they could not synthesize our magic,”