ten

He had expected to be berated. Scolded. Punished. Or at the very least, found his worried parents in the throne room. He had stayed in the village way longer than he had planned.

If he had anticipated it, he would have been greatly disappointed.

Riki had snuck back into the palace using a secret passage. At that time, he'd thought that the emperor and the empress had been already aware about his great escape and only wanted to delay his punishment.

But now, when he stepped into the banquet hall for dinner, he was surprised to find both rulers of the kingdom sitting at the table, a smile gracing their faces as they talked. It was rare for them to eat dinner with him. Even rarer to see them genuinely smile. It was also suspicious to Riki that they were happy, especially since they were practically at war with the West. That wasn't really something to be smiling about.

He felt the sensation of dread drain out of his system. Maybe they weren't actually here to scold him. Perhaps the imperial army had won an important victory? He didn't have a clue.

His face slips into a mask of calm as his parents notice his presence and greet him.

The empress rises from her seat. "Riki dear, I heard you have been sick all day. I'm sorry Mother couldn't visit you." she brings him into an embrace, squishing his cheeks. "Is my son feeling better now?"

Sick? He hadn't been sick at all today. Riki's ears redden at his mother's sudden affection. It had been a while since she had hugged him. Hesitant at first, he quickly melts into the warmth of the hug, enjoying the soothing touch of his parent.

His father coughs loudly from the head of the table, causing the two to separate. "My son, you should take your seat. Your mother and I have some news to share with you."

The tension between Riki and the emperor was quite thick, especially after this morning's events. But nonetheless, he obeys without a complaint.

"What's the news?" he asks with a straight face, trying to keep his tone neutral.

"Dear," A radiant smile lit up his mother's face, "do you remember your friend?"

"My friend?" he questions in confusion. Riki raises an eyebrow. "Do you mean Jungwon? Why wouldn't I remember him?"

She shakes her head. "Not Jungwon, silly. Remember Yoon Lia?"

He froze at the familiar name.

Yoon Lia. Riki remembered her alright. She used to be one of the palace children, the daughter of a well known minister in court, Minister Yoon Jaeho. He suppresses a shudder. He hated her with burning passion. She was extremely clingy and bratty, always insisting on having things her way. Otherwise, things would get messy once Minister Yoon had found out someone had mistreated his dear daughter.

She was no friend of his. He merely had tolerated her whines and complaints to not make a fuss with her parents. He had been relieved when she had left the palace a few years ago for some reason he did not remember.

"Lia." Her name left a sour taste in his mouth. "Mother, she's not coming back... right?"

"Of course she is! Aren't you excited, darling?" The empress coos. "She'll arrive soon in a few days. She misses you, you know," she leans forward and winks. "Who knows, perhaps you two might fall in love! Oh, my son, you've grown up so fast."

He internally groans. "Mother, I'm only seventeen! I'm too young to consider marriage!" he protests, fumbling for words. Suddenly, Riki's eyes narrow. "Wait. We're not getting married, are we?"

It was common for people of nobility and royalty to have arranged marriages to other aristocrats. Very few of them were made out of love. He'd heard stories of the worst-case scenarios: forced to live with the person you hated, arguing and dwelling in hatred to their deathbed.