20. So we talked....kinda

I laughed at something he wrote and tucked some hair behind my ear.

He scribbled something else down and I leaned over to read it.

I laughed again and covered my face.

"You're stupid!"

So how do you like the military?

"I don't. I only joined because my father threatened me."

How?

"At this point, I don't know. He just threatened me with everything I have and could have."

He nodded.

How do you like your lieutenant?

I snorted.

"He's alright. He hates me though. He gets on my nerves too. Always punishing me for the littlest thing but not paying attention to anyone else. He just focuses on me! I'd fight him if I had a chance.  But I won't. Besides, I can't fight him, he beat my ass once already."

Maybe he's just looking out for you?"

I laughed and shook my head.

"No. He just hates me. He's always glaring and pointing out flaws with me."

He shrugged.

I sighed and laid down.

"I never wanted to join the military. It's to harsh for me. I wanted to be a doctor, a singer, an actress, a dancer, a lawyer, literally anything but being part of the military."

You sound like Barbie. So many jobs you want to work.

I laughed.

"I'd only work one. But... I don't wanna die. Not in the military."

You can die anywhere.

"Yeah, but it's almost promised in the military."

If you train hard, you'll be okay.

"I use to have five brothers. My oldest brother, Micky, he would be 35. He was a colonel. He tried his hardest. He did everything he was supposed to do. And yet that didn't save him form the sniper on the roof. Truth is, no matter how good you are, you're always in danger of death. If luck is all we have, I rather not risk it."

He nodded as of thinking.

I guess that makes sense. You must hate the military for what happened to your brother.

"It's always scared me if I'm honest. I know that when I'm on the field, I'm going to freeze up. No one is going to stop and help me. I never wanted to be in the army. But my father doesn't want children who aren't in the military. Maybe I'll serve my years and just not renew my contract. I'll cut contact with my father then. Although it'll be hard."

Why is that?

"I tried cutting contact before. I ignored him, took all the money I had saved up from years of working and moved from the states to the UK. I tried to keep in contact with my family but my father forbid them from talking to me. My brothers would use the military phones or a burner phone to talk to me but I missed my mom. Eventually I was so isolated from everyone I gave in."

I see. I'm sorry you went through that. It must have been difficult.

"It definitely was. I went to a bad place mentally. I wasn't eating or taking care of myself. I didn't even have any friends."

But you made friends in the military, didn't you?