❛ 𝘔𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 ❜ | 𝑨𝙢𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙖

ℙ𝕒𝕣𝕚𝕟𝕘: Amelia Shepherd x f!reader ♡
𝕎𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤: none

It's always been as if nurses didn't exist for surgeons. Or at least since they believed themselves more superior they showed it.

Patients have always been your biggest priorities, it wasn't just a job that could stress you, on the contrary, you loved it, you loved helping people.

When it came to Dr. Shepherd's patients, you always hoped to have some contact with her, and not just for the cases. But the only sentence you could hear from her was just "Thanks Y/n" accompanied by one of her smiles that managed to stay in your mind for a long time. That's how you always remembered her, smiling.

Today you were going to be treating one of her patients, who was due for surgery for a brain tumour. Her name was Lilian, and she had been hospitalized for a few months now. You had gotten to know her during her kemio cycles, she was a very sweet and nice girl. This was also one of your favorite aspects of your job, getting to know the patients and making them feel at ease.

"Today is the big day!" you said with a smile as soon as you entered the room to change the drip.

"Thank God, even though I've gotten used to all this" she said ironically.

"Well, how are we doing?" Amelia entered the room followed by Stephanie. Your gaze immediately fell on her.

"We're finally going to kick this worthless pile of shit out of the ass!" she exclaimed. You all laughed.

"Edwards" Amelia got Stephanie to make the case.

"Lilian Evans, 27 years old, third stage lymphoma, she'll be operated on today after being subjected to four months of kemio" Lilian turned towards you, you were her point of reference.

"The surgery is set for this afternoon" Amelia concluded.

"I'll count down!" Lilian said. Amelia smiled at her before leaving, while you stayed with her to keep her company.

"When are you going to tell her your feelings?" Lilian asked looking at you with a smile.

"What...?" you asked pretending not to know what she was referring to.

"Dr. Shepherd! Come on, your eyes sparkle when you look at her" damn was that obvious? Sure, you liked her a lot, but maybe you should try to limit your feelings a little.

"Okay- We won't talk about that-"

"Please the only thing that every person talks about with me in this hospital is my tumor, I won't miss the opportunity to face one of my favorite situations" she retorted interrupting you.

You looked at her for a while. She's right, when are you going to talk to her and get noticed? You can't go on like this.

"You should rest now, I'll come back later" Lilian rolled her eyes at your decision, and you walked out of the room.

"Y/n" Amelia called you.

"Yes?"

"Keep monitoring her and let me know if there are any complications, okay?"

"Sure" you smiled at her politely before she pulled away and you could look at her. «Stop being an idiot» you said to yourself.

While you were on your lunch break Staphanie immediately ran over to you, she looked anxious.

"Edwards, what-"

"It's Lilian, she's having convulsions, Shepherd is intervening, she told me to come and find you" she caught her breath between one word and another, she must have run half the hospital looking for you. You immediately got up and followed her.

When you arrived Lilian was unconscious, the convulsions had stopped and Shepherd had immediately ordered to prepare her to take her to the operating room.

"Where were you?" Amelia referred to you looking at you with a rather angry expression.

"I was- I was on break, I-"

"And her exams?" she raised her tone a bit.

"They were okay... I don't know what's happened..." she asked you all possible questions and you answered sincerely everything you had done. Why did this happen?

Amelia and Stephanie rushed Lilian into the room, other nurses were preparing her. All you could do was wait and hope that the surgery worked out, and that Lilian was okay.

When Amelia came out she took off her scrub cap and threw it on the floor in frustration. You were a little afraid to approach her to ask how it went. When she met your eyes it was as if you understood everything. Lilian is dead, things didn't go as planned. Her family was yet to arrive, and no one would want to break news like that to anyone else.

You didn't even dare to witness that scene. You locked yourself in one of the first closets you saw, you didn't know what was happening to you. You loved Lilian so much. And now she was dead. God, she was just a patient... But she also managed to become the only person she could understand you. Let's say that it seemed more difficult to socialize with others.

A tear came out of your eyes and you can't do anything to stop it.

At that point someone opened the door, the last person you would have expected to see.

"Hey" Amelia walked over to you. "I saw you come in here..." she sat next to you. You wiped away your tears.

"It's nobody's fault, it happens every day-"

"But Lilian didn't- she didn't deserve this" you said trying not to burst out in front of her.

"I know, it's terrible, but it's like this, and there's nothing we can do about it..." she said looking into your eyes.

As her eyes rested on yours you could almost calm yourself.

"The only thing I want to do is just kiss you right now" you said keeping your gaze on hers.

"Well, do it..." she answered the same way.

You placed a hand on her cheek stroking it as you brought your face to hers and she closed her eyes. You placed your lips against hers in a short kiss full of sweetness, she reciprocated making it a little more intense, you could have never stopped.