Smoker

Part 1

I let out a sigh as my leg hung over the side of the building.

For the past month and a half I had been following my sworn enemy around, Captain Smoker. Smoker was a thorn in my side and I was finally taking matters into my own hands, and taking him out.

"Where is he?" I whispered as I canvassed the area.

My eyes landed on a familiar head of white hair and a grin spread across my face.

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear." I said as I rose to my feet.

I stretched my arms up above my head and let out a sigh. I was about to jump off the building, when I stopped. A little girl was running towards Smoker, holding a ice cream cone. Before her father could stop her, she ran smack dead into him. Her ice cream stained his pants and she started to tear up.

"Damn it." I hissed as I pulled out my sword.

I knew how marines acted, they thought themselves better than everyone else. And I knew that there was no way Smoker would let this slide.

I moved to interfere, but stopped when I watched him crouch down to the child's height. My heart stopped as I watched him hand her some money, before standing back up. He turned around and as the girl waved to him, he waved back.

"He... gave her money?" I asked in shock.

I could feel my heart skip a beat. I'd never seen a marine be nice to anyone, they always acted like they were better than everyone. Yet he actually showed kindness to a civilian. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think he was attractive, but seeing him act like this made it hard to want to kill him.

"Damn Marine... why can't you be an asshole?" I growled out.

I continued to secretly follow behind Smoker, a thousand thoughts going thru my mind. It was hard to believe that the man who had tried to kill me two years ago could be kind to someone. Before I knew it I was falling asleep on top of the roof, my sword laying on the ground beside me. I only woke up when I felt something being draped over me. My eyes fluttered open as I felt a warmth embrace me.

"You shouldn't be here." A deep voice said from beside me.

My eyes snapped open and I reached down for my sword, but it was gone. I quickly turned to see Smoker holding my sword in his hand, a smirk on his face.

"How did you know I was up here?" I asked with a sigh.

I slumped back against the wall, my arms crossed over my chest.

"I spotted you a few hours ago. I was curious why you hadn't tried to fight me, so I came up here. Imagine how surprised I was when I found you asleep." He said as he rose to his feet.

"I thought I'd give you a pass." I said as I looked down at the street.

"You have me a pass? That's surprising, normally it's on sight." He said as he stared down at me.

I smiled as I saw a little girl running Thru the street.

"I saw you with that kid." I said as the little girl rushed up to her mother.

"The one who spilt ice cream on me?"

"Yea, she reminded me of myself." I said as I let out a snort. "I had the same experience, except... the marine I ran into wasn't so kind."

I flinched at the memory, and at the scar that now resides on my hand.

"Is that how you got that scar?"

I let out a snort and shook my head.

"Yea, he burned my hand pretty badly and then he killed my father. I was four, and I didn't even get the chance to apologize."

"I'm sorry."

My head snapped to the side as my eyes went wide.

"You might be a pirate now, but you weren't back then. You didn't deserve that." He said as he closed his eyes.

I let out a laugh and shook my head as he stared down at me, a look of surprise on his face.

"You know, you almost make me not hate marines." I said as I stared up at him.

"You know... if you turn yourself in now... I might be able to put in a good word for you... maybe keep you out of prison." He said as he walked up to me.

I rose to my feet and shook my head as a small smile appeared on my face.

"You would put in a good word for little ole me?"

"I would."

"And here I thought that you didn't have a heart." I said as I shook my head.

"For certain people... those that think are actually good people." He said as I looked down at the ground.

I went to speak but stopped when I felt a hand move a strand of hair, tucking it behind my ear. My head shot up and my eyes went wide as I felt him cuff my cheeks.

"Turn yourself in... I don't want to have to continue chasing you." 

A small smile spread across my face as I leaned into his embrace.

"But, Captain... the fun is in the chase." I whispered as I took a step backwards.

He moved to grab me, but I fell backwards. I let out a laugh as I grabbed a pole and slid down it, landing on the ground.

"I'll see you around!" I yelled as I took off running.

"Until we meet again, (Y/n)!" He called out to me.