Chapter 3: The source of his joy, the center of her world...let it burn!

Jaxon Spencer vs. Catherine 'Kate' Stevens

Pix: Jax the menace

Video: Light Em Up by Fall Out Boy

Dedicated to legerton

Cheers!

***

"I'm going to teach her a lot of things, Uncle Ian," Little Rodney said boastfully as he rubbed the tip of his baby sister's nose.

"Like what?" An amused Ian Williams asked his nephew.

"Baseball, Roblox, bike riding, horse riding..."

"You don't even know how to ride a horse, Rodney," His mother laughed from the dining area where she was setting the table with Mitch, his father.

"Stay out of our conversation, Shay," Will gave his sister a mock growl. "And I think someone is hungry." He smiled down at the baby who was trying to put her tiny fingers into her mouth. "Shay?"

"Aw, come on, you know she's a foodie," Sharon snorted. "It's not even time for her next meal," she added as she started for the kitchen.

"Honey, go and see to her," Mitch called out. "I will handle this."

"Is that all you plan on teaching her?" Will asked Rodney as he stood and allowed little Ava's head to rest on his shoulder. Rhythmically patting between her shoulder blades seemed to soothe her.

"I will teach her how to ride a car and..." Rodney's words got lost in the deafening explosion that shattered the serenity of the afternoon. The baby burst into tears.

"What the..." Will's head swiveled to the door as his sister came running into the living room with an alarmed expression. "Take Ava, Shay," Will said even as his brother-in-law ran outside.

"What the hell happened?" Will heard Mitch's shocked shout as his long strides took him outside.

For a moment, all Will saw was a huge bonfire where his Jeep had been parked. He went closer to the burning Jeep with shock on his face. He wasn't aware his car had a problem that could result in it going up in flames. It was in perfect condition, for goodness sake.

"Oh, my god, Ian," He heard his sister gasp behind him and turned to look at her with wide eyes.

"Take the baby inside, Shay," he instructed as he started towards where Sharon stood on the porch.

"You love that Jeep," Sharon said shakily.

"Yeah, shit happens," Will murmured as he opened the door for Sharon.

By the time the firefighters arrived, the Jeep was beyond salvaging. What was left was taken away for examination.

"Probably an electrical fault," Mitch said as they sat down to eat.

"It sure did burn fast," Will muttered. "Almost as if it was filled with explosives."

When they heard the knock at the door, Will went to open it. "Hey," he smiled at his mate.

"Hey," Stan responded softly as he drew Will to him and kissed him lightly. "What happened?"

"I don't know." Will led the way to the dining table where Sharon, Mitch, and Rodney sat eating.

"Hey guys," Stan greeted as he reached out to ruffle Rodney's hair. "How are you doing, little man?" He pulled a chair and took a seat.

"I'm good, Uncle Stan," Rodney quipped. "Uncle Ian's car just went boom." The grown-ups chuckled at that despite themselves.