Chapter 5: The source of his joy, the center of her world...turmoil!

Jaxon Spencer vs. Catherine 'Kate' Stevens

Pix: Jax the Rogue

Video: I Try by Macy Gray

Dedicated to XarJ888

Cheers!

***

Kate tossed and turned. Sleep just wouldn't come. She couldn't get a particular piercing hazel pair of eyes out of her mind. Her body was still buzzing, horny from her encounter with the rogue the night before. Of all the people who could have been her mate, she thought for the umpteenth time. Luna had dealt her a very bad hand she couldn't help but think bitterly.

When they left the dungeons, Will had filled her in on all the rogue had done. He was one sick son-of-a-bitch. And her mate! She hadn't given Will that information. Thankfully, as a new werewolf, there was no way Will could have guessed what was going on between her and the prisoner. Even experienced werewolves sometimes found it difficult to tell when others met their mates unless they were told.

She had gone home, stood under the shower, and cried for hours. Kate knew that there was no way she could be with Jaxon. He was already condemned. He'd sinned not only against Will but the entire pack. Attempting to burn down the woods of a pack was one of the most grievous offenses ever. No pack took that lightly. Taking shots at them took the entire issue to another level for sure. Clearly, Jaxon Spencer was ready to kill and destroy the pack. He just had to die.

Kate knew that it would be disgraceful to let anyone know that such a person was her mate. It was mortifying. It would also be selfish on her part to expect Jaxon to be pardoned for his sins simply because he was her mate. She couldn't ask that of the pack. Jaxon Spencer was a dead werewolf! Meaning even though she'd found her mate, she wouldn't have the pleasure of being with him. Kate couldn't stop her tears. And even though she felt drained after crying so much, sleep evaded her. Being miserable, angry, and horny was definitely not a combination.

"Fuck!" Kate cursed as she sat up. According to her bedside clock, it was a little after three a.m. "Fuck my life," she muttered as she rolled out of bed. She headed for the kitchen in all her naked glory. She always slept naked.

She took a bottle of water from the fridge and downed it in seconds. Then she began to pace. She couldn't believe her misfortune. What did she do wrong to deserve the cruelest fate ever to befall any werewolf... Watching as a mate was taken from you for good.

"What did I do wrong, Luna?" She screamed in the quiet kitchen as fresh tears coursed down her cheeks. "Don't I deserve the good things in life too?" She cried. "If I did anything to deserve this, please forgive me. It wasn't my intention to offend you. Please, Luna." She dropped to the floor and sobbed her heart out. She felt desolate and so utterly broken.

When Kate eventually got to her feet, she had an expression of resignation. Her demeanor as she moved towards her bedroom was that of someone who had utterly accepted defeat.

***

"Oh, so you can walk," Jaxon said with a yawn when he saw Ryan outside his cell. "That's more like it," he drawled when a chuckling Ryan materialized in the cell. "Sorry, I don't have a chair for you."

"I have one," Ryan said just as a chair appeared behind him. "How are you doing today?" he asked as he took a seat.

Jaxon shrugged. "Can't complain. Loving my digs," he added sarcastically. "What do you want?"

"Came to have lunch with you." With a flick of his hand, a table covered with dishes appeared between Ryan and Jaxon.

"Wow! Is this my last meal then?" Jaxon raised a brow.