Chapter 13: The source of his joy, the center of her world... banished!

Jaxon Spencer vs. Catherine 'Kate' Stevens

Pix: The unapologetically gorgeous Kate

Video: Say It Isn't So by Gareth Gates

Dedicated to: NeelamVijay. Belated happy birthday, darling. Blessing!

Cheers!

***

Jaxon hung his towel and headed back to the room. He'd gone for a walk with Ryan in the Stanton Woods after the warlock had suggested it. The lovely weather and good company had made the walk enjoyable. Kate was somewhere on the pack land, going about her duties. The room felt so empty whenever she wasn't around, but Jaxon understood that he couldn't keep her to himself all the time. Just as he finished pulling on sweatpants and a t-shirt, his phone began to ring. It was Kate.

"I was just thinking about you," he murmured, drawing a chuckle from her.

"When are you not?" Kate laughed softly.

"Can you blame me?" Jaxon chuckled. He'd never been one to obsess over a woman or on particular parts of the female body until Kate. Just the mere thought of her generous curves got him primed and ready to worship every inch of that body. "My beautiful, stunningly elegant warrior," he husked teasingly, but the heat in his voice was enough to draw a moan from his smitten mate.

"Stop," Kate giggled, clearly tickled. "How was your walk?"

"You know I love talking to Ryan," Jaxon said. "Add that to the amazing feeling of being outdoors. I enjoyed that walk."

"For someone under house arrest, you sure are enjoying being outdoors a lot," Kate teased. "You need an ankle monitor."

"Fuck off," Jaxon laughed. "Coming back anytime soon?"

"Wrapping up. Assigning some resp... was that a knock?"

"Yeah, someone is at the door," Jaxon confirmed Kate's suspicion as he started for the door.

"But who would be coming there at this time?" Kate sounded wary. Ryan had taken off the warding he'd placed on the room to enable Gloria, Jaxon, and the others go in and out of the room. "I'm not comfortable."

"I will know who it is in a moment," Jaxon said, opening the door. "Fuck!" he gasped in shock and pain when a punch landed on his face. It was so heavy and forceful that it took him off his feet.

Even as Jaxon sailed through the air, he could hear Kate's distant screams over the phone, which dropped from his grasp and smashed on the floor, instantly ending the sounds of her voice. He landed heavily on his back, his head hitting the ground so hard he saw stars. Jaxon heard someone shouting Will's name but couldn't focus much due to the forceful impact from both the punch and the ground. He felt confusion, dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, and was completely disoriented.

From the doorway, Will looked at the unmoving rogue with satisfaction. He didn't even react when his mate pushed him out of the way and entered the room to crouch beside Jaxon.

"Hey, you good?" Stan asked Jaxon, who was staring up with eyes filled with pain.

"Depends," he croaked. "Is your mate done, or does he plan on landing more blows?"

Stan laughed. "You will be fine. Come on let's get you up." The chuckling beta reached down to help Jaxon up and onto the couch. When he heard his mate coming closer, he turned to give him a stern look. "Don't."

"Chill," Will muttered as he drew his mate's head to his for a kiss. "I just needed to get that out of the way," he rasped when he released Stan's lips. Then to Jaxon, he said, "I hope that hurt."