020.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃─────⋅☾

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

EXCERPT FROM THE SHADOW FILES:
TIM DRAKE; BREWS & BONDING EXERCISES

DEATH LEAVES A HEARTACHE NO ONE CAN HEAL, LOVE LEAVES A MEMORY NO ONE CAN STEAL —FROM AN IRISH HEADSTONE

IT HAD BEEN ALMOST SIX MONTHS SINCE JASON TODD'S FUNERAL THAT BATMAN HAD INTRODUCED GOTHAM TO THE NEWEST ROBIN AND BRUCE WAYNE HAD INTRODUCED THE FAMILY TO TIM DRAKE. His father was in prison and his mother had left long ago, leaving the twelve year old alone with no guardian. He was incredibly intelligent, sweet beyond words and all in all a much calmer version of Jason.

Dick and Shadow, who now had taken the legal name, her real name, Athena Pearson, were attending college during that time and when they returned home, they were shocked, to say the least. But, they had adjusted with him, it wasn't his fault that Bruce didn't process grief well. A replacement in one's business is never a replacement in one's heart.

Shadow could see the man drowning in both his remorse and darkness, Whoever said that loss gets easier with time, clearly never met Bruce, for it never got easier for people like him. Here's what really happens: The spaces between the times you miss them grow longer. Then, when you do remember to miss them again, it's still with a stabbing pain to the heart. And you have guilt. Guilt because it's been too long since you missed them last.

But Jason was gone and Tim was here, so everyone tried their best to make the boy feel at ease, his own losses in the world just as tough.

The first time Dick Grayson had become an older brother of sorts to Jason, the boy had given him the toughest time of his life, being rude, obnoxious and displaying blatant disregard of the former Boy Wonder, partially due to his own insecurities. But, overtime, Dick Grayson had, as expected, had won him over.

With Tim, Dick was still grieving, he was angry with Bruce, he was angry at all the losses they faced but most of all, he was angry that he couldn't help Jason when he needed him. So letting someone get even remotely close to the same situation was hard for him. He did try bonding with Tim and was civil, his usual sunshine not hindered in that aspect. But, it didn't feel that way.

Shadow had seen just how much Dick tried, how hard he tried to keep a distance from the boy, to keep him away from harms end all while living with his own sorrows. It made her feel as if she knew nothing of human nature. Nothing that could possibly prepare her for such a situation, she didn't know what to say or do. So she simply kept silent, letting everyone go on about as they were.

Tim Drake was a fascinating character, with others it always took time for Shadow to adjust herself to their presence, but with the young boy she was immediately taken. She adored him and his wit. He had managed to win some part of the little affection within her heart and boy was he proud.

And as time passed, Tim Drake managed to become an integral member of the family and the Team. Loved by all and respected by many.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾