034.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃─────⋅☾

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

"WALLACE WEST WAS A YOUNG MAN OF TREMENDOUS POTENTIAL..." A hero. He was a hero in all merits. Nobody was born hero and no one can inherit heroism; but you become a hero when your whole life has been a sacrifice for others. His had been. Possibly one of the greatest sacrifices no one would know of. Shadow stood slightly far away from the procession, Queen Perdita had insisted her 'guardian angel' stay with her.

Who was she to deny a young girl's sweet request. She knew if anyone had taken Wally West's death to her heart, it would be her. The orphan he saved. She remembered that day far too vividly. Before they were friends. Before they were acquaintances, she just seemed to find the red head speedster an amusing albeit annoying piece of work. She never realised how much he would have an impact on her life.

The soft sobs of his mother, of Artemis. The gentle breeze that whispered to each on a hot summer's day. It felt far too overwhelming. Attending a funeral would leave the average person insane, if they truly believed that sooner or later they are also going to die. Death was final and absolute and there was nothing anyone could do to change it.

A funeral is supposed to be a way to say goodbye. You look inside yourself and find a place to put your grief, not somewhere hidden, not the top shelf or the back of a cupboard, but maybe by a window, where it can catch the light. She looked at Artemis who simply sat blank and looked down. If you gave someone your heart and they died, did they take it with them? Did you spend the rest of forever with a hole inside you that couldn't be filled? For Artemis or any who lost their truest of loves-when they die, all things soft and beautiful and bright would be buried with them.

You will lose someone you can't live without,and your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn't seal back up. And you come through. It's like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly-that still hurts when the weather gets cold. Death ends a life, never a relationship.

The funeral was attended by all members of the Team, past and present, the Justice League, Wally's parents and others. Perdita, gently grasped Shadow's hand-who allowed for the contact-and squeezed it tightly for comfort "He promised he would be there" The young girl whispered and Shadow looked at her, gently wiping away her tears with a handkerchief. She was so young, so burdened. For the longest while, Wally had been somewhat of a friend to the young queen and now with him gone, she was lost once more.

She offered no smiles, no false hopes "He always will be" She whispered back and watched as the funeral progressed. Sometime later as everyone scattered to pay their respects to the parents or comfort each other, Perdita and herself remained sat in the same place. She sniffled and asked in a heart breaking whisper "Will you?" Shadow hesitantly squeezed her hand back after a moment "As long as you need me, I am at your service, princess" Perdita let a smile grace her face for the first time in days "I am a queen now, you know"