029.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃─────⋅☾

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

GOTHAM CITY
MARCH 21, 07:27 EDT

IT ALL SEEMED ABSURD TO HER: THAT A LIFE, COMPRISING SO MANY ACCUMULATED YEARS, COULD BE INTERRUPTED WITH SUCH INDIFFERENT SWIFTNESS. THE FUNDAMENTAL FRAGILITY OF IT ALL WAS HARD TO IMAGINE HOW ONE COULD GO TO SLEEP HEALTHY AND NEVER WAKE UP WHOLE AGAIN.

She knelt down on her knees to trace the carving on the gravestone and sighed to herself. In contrast to the many deaths before, the sun mockingly shined upon her today, far too warm and far too happy.

It almost didn't seem real. Perhaps it wasn't, perhaps this was all some sort of shadow power induced nightmare she was having.

You truly never know who you can lose in a moment's time, you could see them one day, not knowing when it would be the last.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

GOTHAM CITY
MARCH 17, 13:00 EDT

KNOWING HOW YOU'LL DIE IS SOMETHING PEOPLE WISH THEY'D HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT, IT IS ALWAYS A QUESTIONABLE THING, DEATH. YOU THINK THAT HOLDING SOMEONE HARD WILL BRING THEM CLOSER. YOU THINK THAT YOU CAN HOLD THEM SO HARD YOU'LL STILL FEEL THEM, EMBOSSED ON YOU, WHEN YOU PULL AWAY.

HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO TELL THEM YOU PLAN TO FAKE YOUR DEATH AND HIDE AWAY IN THE LION'S DEN. THT WOULD CERTAINLY BE A CONVERSATION TO BRING TO THE TABLE.

Artemis Crock considered Shadow to be her sister, something close to it, someone a little better than the biological one she was bitterly blessed with. It felt weird not telling her everything that was going on. It was also weird that she hadn't figured it out by now. Maybe she had. Maybe she just didn't want to say it yet.

Either way, having lunch with her one last time before the inevitable felt nice. "So anything new? Maybe a new case or something?" She asked as she drank a cup of coffee, watching Shadow organise her files before they left "It's all the same. Nothing like the literary world. Although you may be interested in one of my studies, a woman is suing her boss for trying to buy her baby"

Artemis let out a laugh "What?"

"I know. Some will say the most baffling things—it was all a misunderstanding however" There was a knock on the office door "Come in" Adam entered with a smile and offered Artemis a nod "Uh...I was just here to inform you about a meeting being held in three hours."

"I'm already aware"

"Oh. Alright." He cleared his throat "I will take my leave then. Always nice to see you, Miss Crock" Artemis gave a small wave before turning to Shadow with a smirk "God, he's cute. Like a little puppy"

Shadow smirked back "Careful, you have a boyfriend and I believe he's not fond of blonde puppies"

"Doesn't matter. Blondie likes you" Shadow rolled her eyes "Not this again" Artemis laughed "Anyone can see it. He likes you"