Chapter 2 - A Hero of Sorts

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

If it hadn't been for the war and the many trials that came with it, Hermione and Draco may have found themselves in different situations.

Unfortunately, the places their circumstances had forced them into eventually led to Hermione being slammed against the lacquered floorboards of Malfoy Manor while Draco's deranged aunt  crawled over her like a rabid animal.

"Now then, my dear," Bellatrix Lestrange began with an odd look in her eyes and a wicked grin on her lips, "You and I can have a proper chat, can't we?"

Hermione jerked and writhed in a futile attempt to free herself from her captor as Bellatrix pushed her wand against the flesh of her smooth, unblemished forearm.

The more Hermione wrestled, the more Bellatrix made an effort to press the entirety of her form against her, until Hermione gasped for breath as Bellatrix threatened to crush her chest.

She watched an evil malice light up Bellatrix's dark eyes as she opened her mouth to speak the incantation that would bring nothing but pain.

Held down, powerless, exposed, and waiting for the inevitable, Hermione grasped onto the forlorn  hope that her end would be quick.

Reduced to useless tears as Bellatrix painfully dug the tip of her wand into Hermione's flesh, she couldn't help the whimper that escaped her throat.

"What was that, Mudblood?!" Bellatrix demanded as she squeezed Hermione's wrist in her hands, purposely pushing her long, lacquered nails into the skin, "I'm afraid you'll have to speak up!"

Hermione looked away from her captor as she tried to control the tears of bitter defeat that ran down her face while Bellatrix leaned in, intent on listening to the pounding of her heart while she prepared to put her unfortunate victim through what was to come.

The blast of bright light that exploded through the room surprised both women.

Hermione heard him before she saw him.

"STUPEFY!"

Bellatrix screamed as that burst of magic hit her squarely in the back and sent her tumbling forward, off Hermione, and into the dark corner of the room, still and unconscious.

Hermione sat up with a jolt, anxious to discover her savior's identity and thank him with eager gratitude, Harry or Ron, whoever it had been.

Her heart skipped a beat when she realized who stood in front of her with his wand drawn.

".........It's you!" Hermione called as she clambered to her feet.

Draco's heart broke that the woman he loved couldn't even manage to say his name after he had saved her life.

Did she hate him that badly?

Had he truly squandered any and all opportunity at ever winning her affection?

"Yes, Granger......" He said as he lowered his wand once a quick glance told him he had successfully incapacitated his aunt, who lay in a groaning heap across the room, "........It's me."

During one of the most dangerous nights of her life, Hermione found herself awkwardly fumbling for words the way she had so many times before during her Hogwarts days.

The rich dominance that Draco's presence brought was as overwhelming as it was calming.

It mortified Hermione to think that all she really wanted to do was bask in that feeling.