Chapter 3 - Aren't we all?

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Both sides of the war stood in Hogwarts' battered courtyard, staring in blatant disbelief as Harry Potter tried to regain his breath while the last ashy, remains of what had been Lord Voldemort crumbled away into the blowing wind of that early May morning.

Inside the castle, Hermione let go of Ron with a gasp as the enchanted serpent who had been  going to end their lives a second earlier practically vanished with a single swing of Gryffindor's sword.

"Thanks, Neville." Ron managed to croak.

"Yeah........Don't mention it." Neville said as he swallowed dryly, still in shock his valiant rescue attempt had actually come to frutition.

An odd sense of peace enveloped the castle as a somber quiet unknown during the previous hours of battle slowly became noticeable.

Hermione gradually staggered to her feet and began to walk forward.

If Harry had lost, she had to know.

If Harry had won, she had to know.

Was it finally.......over?

As Hermione shuffled out into the blinding light brought forth by the rising sun, she squinted and raised a hand to shield her eyes.

Across the broken courtyard, as Hermione stepped out into the new day, few eyes fell on her as everyone contemplated what had happened.

Harry turned and gave her a nod, but Draco felt his world suddenly bloom with the seedlings of relieved happiness once more.

She had survived.

It didn't matter they would never be together, the omega who held his heart had survived.

Lucius and Narcissa put their hands on Draco's shoulders in an attempt to lead him away, but he brushed them both aside as he cast them each a thoughtful frown.

Narcissa and Lucius exchanged questioning glances as Draco stomped away from his family and all their many evil friends to stand in front of Harry and Hermione.

"It's over, Malfoy." Hermione growled as she cast Draco an unwelcoming scowl, "What do you want? Your childish taunts won't do any good now."

Draco cradled his broken heart as he imagined ways to defend himself, but Harry unexpectedly came to his aid as he turned his head towards her and spoke. "He helped, Hermione."

A smirk curled Draco's lips as he watched her eyes widen.

"What?!?!" She gasped.

"Malfoy threw me his wand." Harry explained with a nod as he held the Elder Wand up for her to see, "It wasn't going as well as I thought. He was.........He was stronger than I imagined. My wand snapped, but Draco......Well......."

Hermione's amber eyes nearly bulged out of her head.

"...........Thanks." Harry said sheepishly as he scratched the back of his neck while he glanced over at Draco.

Draco silently nodded in quiet acceptance of Harry's statement, both young men trying to overcome the awkwardness brought on by years of bitter rivaling.

Hermione wanted to rush forward, throw her arms around Draco, and give him the kiss she had spent so many nights dreaming about.

A groan from behind them interrupted her plans as she and Harry turned to rush to a wounded student's side.