Chapter 10 - The Morning

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Draco knew as soon as he woke that chilly morning.

His gray eyes widened as he slowly sat up in bed and breathed in the near tangible sweetness that permeated the air.

If he hadn't known better, he could easily have mistaken it for sweets in the oven at Honeydukes' bakery.

The aroma was so pleasant and innocently sweet, but.........as he looked over at his heavily pregnant omega, his eyes softened.

His heart clenched in his chest as he carefully slipped a hand under the covers and spread his fingers over what his large hand could cover of her massive belly.

The day had come when they would meet their baby.

Draco's mouth went dry as he silently recalled all of the midwife's instructions and each book he had read on labor and childbirth.

The idea of witnessing the event didn't frighten him in the least, although the terror of his own potential inadequacies horrified him.

What if he failed to support his mate during the moment she needed him most?

What if he-

".........Draco?" A groggy voice asked.

Draco blinked as he pulled himself out of his own musings to gaze down into Hermione's eyes.

"Good morning, love." He smiled down at his darling.

Hermione's cheeks flushed the slightest shade of pink.

Love.

She still hadn't grown accustomed to Draco calling her by that affectionate pet name.

He had first addressed her by that sweet sentiment during a particularly difficult bout of back pain she had endured a few weeks earlier.

Hermione hadn't failed to notice that he had seemed to enjoy using her new moniker.

"Good morning." She sighed as she let her head roll back against the mound of pillows she rested on.

"How are you feeling today?" Draco asked, determined to keep his voice calm even while his heart raced with anxiety.

All she would have to do would be to mention the slightest hint of pain and he would be on his feet, wand in hand, ready to send for-

"-Like I haven't slept at all." Hermione said as she yawned and stretched what she could of herself.

Draco blinked as a worried frown crossed his pale features as he watched her settle against the pillows to slip back into slumber.

"Then rest, love." He whispered as he gently pulled the covers up to her shoulders to ward off the morning chill, "Rest as long as you need."

As Hermione's breathing grew steady and deep, Draco silently stood to his feet and padded out of the room.

While he had the chance, he took the opportunity to make certain everything was in place.

He moved from one closet to another while he checked that all the necessary supplies had been gathered and stored.

He swallowed dryly as he held his wand and practiced the summoning charm he would use to send for the midwife.

The notion that he had prepared as well as could be expected for the birth of his first child brought his troubled heart little comfort, though it did help ease the anxieties that rushed through his mind.