Chapter Five

Chapter Five

"I can't believe you're wearing short sleeves." I commented as I tried to get my mind off of the fact that we were going back to the worst place on earth.

"Its hot as hell out there." Maggie said as she opened a window. She pretended to fan herself as if she were burning up, like it would really do any good.

"No." I said as I clutched onto my seat-belt (she was a terrible driver) "You're just always hot."

"Blame all the extra fat sitting on my bones."

"Well don't take it out on us skinny people, we freeze in fifty degree weather."

"Well would you look at that." She said as she threw her phone at me. I looked at the screen to see it was exactly fifty-two degrees out, "Looks like you're not going to freeze after all."

I shook my head and shut her phone off. "Don't look at your phone while you're driving. That's bad."

"I'm no good."

"I know."

After fifteen minutes of us arguing that she didn't know where she was going, -she wouldn't admit it- I finally directed her to Parity Cemetery only to be greeted with dread and guilt.

As she pulled up to the cemetery gate, they automatically opened up, giving us access into the field.

"We shouldn't have come here." I said as my stomach was in knots, "Let's just turn back now before they realize we are here."

"Too late for that." Her voice sounded deeply intrigued, "Look over there." I looked over to where she was pointing. There were two of Mr. Parity's girls working out in a flower bed. They seemed so fake, and incredibly delicate. They now were staring straight at us. Maggie parked the car, and we got out. I told her to just go straight to Amanda's grave -but of course she didn't.

She walked -more like wobbled- her way over to the two girls, and I followed, praying to God that today was Mr. Parity's day off.

My family isn't here, he may actually try and hurt us or something.

"Oh wow." I heard Maggie say as she was now not even three feet away from the girls, "They are real."

"Of course they are real." I snorted as I put my hand on her shoulder, "Now let's go."

"They must be blanketed with makeup."

"Nobody cares, now let's go."

"You guys are pretty." She said with a smile, giving them a chubby thumbs up. The girls stared at her as if she had two heads.

They looked horrified.

I managed to pull Maggie away with one stern tug, she began to follow me down the path where Amanda was buried. "Don't talk to anyone here, they might kill you and bury your carcass with gold and glitter or something."

Maggie just shook her head, as if she disagreed. I rolled my eyes at her stubbornness, and kept walking until Amanda's grave came into view.

"There it is." I said as I pointed to it, Maggie gasped a bit. It did look rather pretty today.

"It's like it's glowing." She commented as she hobbled over to it and set the flowers down on the fake grass that was now covering where her coffin had been buried.

"It is beautiful." I agreed as I got on my knees, and so did she.

"It's so weird."

"What is?" I asked, though my focus was on the gorgeous grave that was before us.