Chapter Thirty Three

Chapter Thirty-Three

It's been three days since my parents 'kicked me out' and I've been living at the cemetery. No, I typically don't like the idea of living in a place when the dead sleep, but I try not to think about it so much.

I would be lying if I said I had trouble sleeping knowing in the room beside mine is where dead bodies are stored for 'preparation'. 

Again, I just try not to think about it.  

Though, despite having to live here, I don't absolutely hate it. Knowing Elias is here the majority of the time comforts me in a weird way that I'll never understand.

I've tried telling him how creepy it is to sleep in the same building with dead bodies, but he doesn't understand. He acts as if it's the most normal thing in the world, and up until now, I never realized that to him; it may just be the most normal thing.

I guess I can't really judge how he lives anymore, because I'm living the exact same way.

I stood beside Elias as he spoke highly of a girl who had died. Finally, after all the wedding talk, and my parents' drama, we are back doing what we are used to. We are permitting funerals, as Elias was born to do. I can't help but admire watching him, he truly is at his prime when he gets to present Parity Cemetery at a funeral service.

Even if it's wrong, he does enjoy it.

Watching him truly express himself is something I've learned to enjoy doing. And even now, I'm beginning to question if marrying him is really such a bad thing.

I think it'd be quite interesting.

"Whoever, or whatever it was that claimed this young girl's life, I pray they are aware of the value a darling soul, that left this world peacefully, despite the repulsive disease plaguing her body, has. She didn't lose a battle, she won, and now, wherever she may be, let her be blessed with this funeral fit for a queen." Elias sprinkled some gold dust on her casket, as it was being lowered into the grave.

All around the grave, there were people sobbing, and holding one another as if their whole world was just taken from them.

I understood the feeling.

After the ceremony, everyone was crowded into the service room, where they quietly consoled one another and mourned. Elias seemed to hop from one guest to another, wrapping his arms around them, and allowing them to cry on his shoulder.

I tried a dozen times to help some of the maids prepare foods for the guests, but Elias kept taking hold of my arm, forcing me to follow him wherever he went. So naturally, I stood with my hands to myself as Elias would hug the friends of the girl, and the family of the girl, and eventually, I found myself getting bored and zoning out.

Before I knew it, I found myself being dragged across the room yet again by Elias, to another set of guests who were sitting on a sofa, crying to one another. Before we approached them, Elias whispered in my ear. "Can you at least pretend to care about this moment, Miss Adler? Pulling you is becoming a chore."

"Then let me go where I please." I retorted back, to which his reply was;

"You're too beautiful to be placed in the background, I thought I've made this clear already." He suddenly placed a kiss on my forehead that was so quick, I don't think anyone could have seen it. I stopped dead in my tracks, as he ignored my shock and began speaking with the crying mother of the dead girl.

He was toying with me, surely. Kissing me, especially in front of guests, was something I never thought he'd do.

He wouldn't risk his reputation for a stupid girl like myself.