Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine

There they were. Walking into the building as if they didn't care about it the slightest. There was a woman, and a man. The woman; a blonde haired, tall, pale doll-like woman who had to be in her early forties wore a gown of absolute abundance. The man; as well as handsome, wore a suit, that I knew cost more than my own home. 

These people were the mere definition of wealthy. I looked like a cheap knock-off standing next to them.

"Welcome, Mr. and Mrs. Lancaster." Elias spoke, as he did a slight bow of respect. I bowed along with him, and gave them my million dollar smile.

Though, a million dollars was probably pocket change to these people.

"Elias Parity, you darling!" The woman piped, as she hobbled over -her heels looked to be ten inches- and gave him a hug. He didn't seem the slightest uncomfortable. "You're too handsome for this world." She spoke, as she gave him a light kiss on the cheek.

"Says the woman of pure divine." He complimented back with a smile.

The man walked over and shook hands with Elias, and the exchanged their own greetings as well.

I'm insanely dense, made with a passion for being cruel -at least, that is what I felt like. I felt useless at this moment, blatantly ignored as if they were making a point to do so. I stood there awkwardly as Elias and the -rather rude- couple got along fluently. I wanted to pause time and explain to the awkwardness -that was so dense, it was able to hold physical form- that I didn't deserve to be treated like nothingness. But then, the other half of me was happy they weren't acknowledging my presence. It just meant I had less to say.

I wasn't quite sure what to do with my hands, so I just stood there silently twisting the 'wedding' ring on my finger.

"Honestly," said the Mrs. Lancaster, (who seemed overly-fond of Elias despite her age) "You truly are such a handsome young man. Why was I born in the seventies?" She dramatically sighed, "My morals are being tested quite unfairly today."

"Vivian." Mr. Lancaster spoke, his face hardening as doing so, "That was inappropriate."

I grabbed Elias's hand without thinking twice about it. Wasn't it obvious he was mine? Rhetorically, of course.

Elias looked at me for a moment, the expression on his face was hard to read.

"Oh?" Mrs. Lancaster began, as she finally noticed me. About damn time. "And who is this?"

Elias suddenly shifted, as if he has accidentally shown a sign of physical anxiety. "This is my wife, Scarlett."

"Your wife?" Mrs. Lancaster gasped, "Do you mean you married that girl from Vaahim's party up in Newbury?"

"Precisely the one." Elias said with a smile.

I still wasn't sure who the hell Scarlett Vaahim is, but from what I've gathered, she is -or was- some rich girl born into a family almost as known as Parity's. No, I don't know why I had to pretend to be her. It didn't make any sense to me, but I didn't bother to question it.

Mr. Lancaster laughed a hardy laugh as he patted Elias's shoulder, "Never thought you to be the type to succumb to a woman of entertainment. The Vaahim family are psychotic clowns in a dead industry."

I bit my lip, wondering if I should pretend to feel offended over his comment. Technically, these people are supposed to be my family. How rude of him to say something so bold about my 'family'.

"Well actually." I said, as Elias wrapped his arm around my waist, almost as if to tell me 'not to take it to heart'. "I chose Elias, and I asked him to marry me. My family has nothing to do with our togetherness."

Mr. and Mrs. Lancaster seemed surprised. Elias seemed unable to hold down the grin on his face as he intertwined his arm with mine, eventually he spoke up, "Well, now that we have our introductions out of the way, shall we all move to the other room and talk business?"

Mr. Lancaster nodded, "Yes, we've much to discuss."

Elias -still holding onto me in the process- led us down one of the rooms with a large table, where we all sat together and began speaking of the process of Parity Cemetery, and the goals Elias had in mind to 'enhance the industrial profit'. "I've not many plans, really." Elias admitted as he leaned in his chair, looking a hundred times more comfortable around these people than he did when they first arrived. He must have gathered some confidence in me, or in himself I wasn't sure. "The way things are here have been incredibly profitable, and have no flaws."

"So you say." Commented Mr. Lancaster, "But with a wife now, you two must have disagreements. Scarlet," He turned to me, "Is there anything you'd do different if not for your husbands schedule?"

"Not a thing." I replied, without a hint of hesitance. Elias seemed fond of my answer.

"Well," finally, Mrs. Lancaster entered the conversation, "I've come up with ideas to really bold out the Parity name." She took out some papers from her very tiny -and expensive looking- purse. "I had begun with the ideas of charity parties."

"I don't do charity." Elias interrupted her, almost as if on queue.

Mrs. Lancaster smiled, "But you'll be grateful for it." She handed him a paper and he scanned the words on the page. I don't even think he actually put in the effort to read it, still, his answer was the same.

"Absolutely not."

"But now that you're married." Mr. Lancaster said, " This changes everything we had planned to speak to you about. I think we'll be able to make it something more than just a charity event." He paused, "You're almost nineteen. Who knows of your marriage?"

"No one." Me and Elias said in unison.

"Precisely why we don't have to make it for charity as we first planned." Mrs. Lancaster said with enthusiasm lacing her tone, "We can throw a wedding, inviting the highest names in the profit industry! The Vaahims, the Masons, The Luthers, the Steins, the Merciers, -God, can you imagine the immaculate faces that could all be in the same room, attending the wedding of the richest nineteen year old in America?"

I sat there, gawking at the Lancasters as if they had each grown a second head. Even Elias hesitated to speak, I wasn't sure if it were out of shock, or if he was just as speechless as I was.

"Well, uhh-" I began, but Elias interrupted me.

"You're saying you want us to have another wedding, for the charity of the faces who show up?"

"Absolutely. We could even open it to the public, rent out the largest church in the state. It'll be a grand event for the highest paying guests."

"Are you mad?" I couldn't help but ask, "Why would we use our love for a profit?"

"Because." Spoke up Mr. Lancaster, "The smartest business dwellers would kill for an event like this."