Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine

We stepped into the airport and was immediately bombarded with flashing lights, shouting, security officers surrounding us whole.

So, this is why Elias asked if I was ready.  

I was not ready.

Reporters, photographers, they were all trying to get photos, of us, asking us questions that they didn't need to know the answers too.

"Scarlett, how long have you and Elias Parity been together?"

"Scarlett, are you now sharing ownership of Parity Cemetery?

"Mr. Parity, are you certain your alliance with Edgar Mason are, in fact, reliable?"

"What are your thoughts on Anti-technology movement, that is slowly increasing around the country?"

Questions were being thrown at us from left and right, and I couldn't help but want them all to stop. Everything needed to stop.

I hadn't realized I had been clutching onto Elias's arm until he pulled me closer, a look on his face that was daring anyone to harm me.

With the help of dozens of security guards, we managed to get to not just any plane, but a private jet. Boarding it, I immediately sat down at the nearest seat, my legs were shaking, and I could hardly gather my breath. Elias sat beside me.

"You alright, Miss Adler?"

I swallowed, "You know, that's the second time you called me that today." His eyebrows rose but didn't say anything, so I continued, "Technically my name is Mrs. Parity now."

He leaned back in his seat, "Technically, you're correct."

My heart was still racing, as I placed my hand on my chest, forcing myself to take deep breaths, "You never told me you owned a private jet."

"That's because I don't."

I stared at him.

He just shrugged, "I could get you one, if you want it though."

"Then whose plane is this?"

His gaze trailed to the window as he spoke, "It seems we're being escorted."

I nodded, as a stewardess came by, handing me a glass of what I assumed was wine. I took it without thinking, "Escorted. That's interesting." I took a sip, surprised at how delicious it was. "Who, may I ask, is escorting us to our honeymoon?"

He sighed, "A ravenous family."

"Aren't they all." I muttered, taking another drink.

He shifted in his seat, "Apparently the Scott family wants to meet us. The Lancaster's will be attending in a formal dinner as well."

I nearly spat out the expensive wine in my mouth, and I probably would have if it weren't for the cost of it, "The Scott family?"

He nodded, like it wasn't a big deal.

"You mean the Scott Family?"

"That is what I said, yes."

I had to sit down my drink. "Elias, if you are lying to me I swear-"

"Is it so odd that the Scotts are aware of my livelihood? I've even buried some of their relatives."

Yes, I was aware that Elias is rich, beyond rich even. He has more money than one should have, but I didn't think he was this rich. The Scott family are the wealthiest family in the United States, surpassing even the president in popularity. They own multiple billion-dollar companies and have tremendous power over the country.