Daddy

Chapter Twelve
Daddy

"Daddy" I said after hearing the doctor say that Everett Collins had paid for my mum's medical care that surely couldn't have been cheap.

"I thought he was a jerk" Chris said.

"I did too. But maybe he still loves us" I smiled letting yet another tear roll down my cheek.

Chris hugged me tight and we resumed our original position next to mum.

Feeling completely safe and relieved and exhausted, I fell asleep in Chris's arms and next to my mum.

When I woke up, everyone was in the same position as they were before except Chris had propped himself up on his arm and was playing with my hair with his right hand and still holding mum's hand with his left.

"Morning m'darling" he said.

"Morning" I laughed. I turned and gave him a quick kiss.

"Has she woken up at all?" I asked.

"No ma'am she hasn't" he responded with a chuckle.

"It's getting late doll" he said.

I yawned and nodded. He stood up and helped me up.

I leaned over and kissed mum on the forehead and I walked toward the door. I stopped in the door frame to see Chris lean over mum and kiss her in the same spot I had.

A tear fell from my eye and I walked toward him. He held his arms open, a tear running down his cheek as well, waiting for me to come over and hug him. When I reached him, I jumped up and wrapped my legs around his waist. He caught me with extreme ease and held me as I hugged him.

He moved back and forth a little until he put me down and we walked out of the room hand in hand.

He helped me into the Jeep and we headed for home.

When we pulled into the driveway, Chris helped me out of the truck as usual and he walked me to the door. I opened the door, gave him a kiss, and pulled him inside with me.

I woke the next morning with Chris's arm on my waist and his other arm under my pillow.

I smiled and kissed his nose. His eyes began to open.

When his eyes were fully open, a smile spread across his face.

"Why good morning m'darling" he said sleepily.

"Good morning Mr. Garrett" I laughed.

He kissed me quickly and I got up out of bed to go try and make breakfast.

I saw that I was wearing Chris's big t-shirt so I grabbed a pair of sweatpants and waltzed downstairs.

I was looking in the fridge for something that I could make easily when I felt two strong arms wrap around my waist. I leaned back into him and he kissed me on the cheek.

"I'll take care of breakfast darlin, I know it ain't your thing" he laughed while guiding me over to the breakfast bar and pulling out a chair for me to sit in.

"How did you know that?" I asked him.

"Let's just say you don't have to be a genius to know that people who dedicate their lives to baking desserts don't typically make meals very well" he winked while grabbing some things from the fridge.

I laughed.

I watched him as he poured me a glass of orange juice. He was still shirtless and he had a pair of pajama pants on.

The military did him good to say the least.

"Like what you see?" He asked cheekily while handing me my juice.

"I guess this view isn't bad" I laughed.

"Admit it, you love it" he laughed.

"Meh" I smirked.

He ran over and threw me over his shoulder. He ran around the kitchen spinning me around.

"Alright!! Alright!! I liked the view!!" I said in between fits of laughter.

He sat me back down in my chair and kissed my cheek.

"Thank you. Now was that so hard?" He asked sarcastically.

"Mhm" I muttered under my breath.

"What was that?"

"Nothing!" I smiled trying to look innocent.

He resumed making breakfast. Pancakes.

While we were eating our delicious pancakes, something came to mind.

"Hey Chris"

"Yeah doll?"

"How do you think dad knew about mum's stroke?"

"Well maybe they saw him listed in her emergency contact list and called him before they called you"

"Maybe. I just can't believe that he paid for it all. He left us. I thought he hated us"

"Baby, a man can never hate his family. No matter how hard he may have tried."

"You always know exactly what to say" I smiled.

"I know" he kissed my nose and continued stuffing his face.

I could get used to waking up next to him every morning.
-------------------------------------
Hey readers!

Bringing Nicole's dad into this....good or bad?
I guess we'll find out :)
Keep commenting and voting! Your feedback is important to me!

Happy reading!!
Eagle_Eye_13 xx