Chapter 112: Special

Edrick

I ran with wild abandon through the winding, dark streets of the Rogue district as the rain began to fall even harder, not caring how soaked I got or whether I hurt myself running like this. As Moana's scent became stronger, I knew that she was close, and she was alive.

Finally, I managed to find Moana thanks to the powerful scent she was emanating, and I felt a weight lift off of my chest. But I couldn't be entirely certain that everything was okay just yet, because she was laying on the ground in the middle of the street, unconscious and curled into a ball. And she wasn't alone, either.

There were Rogues surrounding her. I prepared to fight them as I ran up to Moana, but to my surprise, they didn't seem to be going after her. Instead, they were backing away from her in fear, clinging to the walls of the buildings around them and hissing and snarling angrily. Somehow, she was repelling them; and I knew it had something to do with her scent.

"Moana," I murmured, feeling a wave of relief wash over me.

I ran up to her and crouched down, checking to see if she was alive as I muttered worriedly under my breath.

"Come on... Come on..." I whispered. I pressed my fingers to her neck, and let out a sigh of relief when I felt a pulse. Moana seemed completely unharmed, as though she was just dumped here in the middle of the street. At least, that was how it seemed on the surface.

But as I crouched by her, her scent quickly faded. The Rogues, having regained their confidence now that her scent disappeared, began to close in on us from all sides.

"Hey, her scent's gone!" one of the Rogues suddenly exclaimed in a disbelieving voice. One of the other Rogues chuckled, his face hidden by a large, black hood.

"Finally," he said, showing only his grin beneath his hood. His teeth were black, and each of them had been filed into a point. It made me sick. "Dinner is served, boys!"

There was no other way out now, so I knew I would have to fight them off. I let out a sigh, feeling more inconvenienced than anything. I stood, letting my wolf finally take over, and felt myself shift.

The Rogues, however, shifted too. And there were three of them, whereas there was only one of me; but I was determined to protect Moana with all of my strength, and fighting had always been one of my strong suits. Without a moment of hesitation, I decided to do whatever it would take to protect Moana and our baby.

I felt my wolf's power surge through me as I charged at the Rogues, causing them to scatter momentarily. One Rogue came up behind me and attempted to ambush me, but I knew he was coming and easily beat him off, sending him scampering away with blood dripping from his face.

Another Rogue, the one that had the sharpened teeth in his human form, tried to come at me from the side then. I felt him crash into me, knocking me off my feet and sending a bolt of pain shooting up my ribcage. I quickly swallowed the pain, jumped back up and lunged at him. We grappled for a few moments in a fury of snapping teeth and sharp claws before I finally got beneath him and kicked as hard as I could, throwing him with even more force into the wall of one of the buildings.

The Rogue whimpered as he laid on the ground, the brick cracked behind him from the impact, before he went limp.

That was two Rogues... But there had been three.
I spun around then to see that the final Rogue, a smaller and scrappier one, was hungrily sniffing at Moana. A low, thunderous growl rumbled in my throat as I stalked closer to him. At the same time, a loud lightning strike lit up the sky. The Rogue slowly lifted his head, his dopey eyes shifting back and forth. When he realized that he was the only one left and that his leader was possibly even dead, he quickly turned tail and ran like a coward without even a moment of hesitation.

For a moment, I just stood there, waiting for more Rogues to come. But thankfully, none did; any Rogues who were watching and considering trying to get to Moana likely realized that they wouldn't stand a chance against an Alpha, and we were alone again. Once I was certain that it would be safe, I approached Moana again and leaned down to nudge her with my muzzle. I was relieved once again to feel her flinch in her sleep. She was still alive.

But there was no more time to waste; more Rogues could get brave soon, and Moana was already soaked from the rain. I had to get her out of here before anything else stood in our way.
Now that the Rogues were taken care of, I quickly shifted back then and scooped Moana up off the ground.

The rain was coming down even harder now, and Moana was still unconscious. I saw her eyelids flutter slightly as I picked her up — she mumbled something under her breath, but it was incoherent, and I didn't have the time to be deciphering her half-conscious utterings. I didn't know exactly what happened to her when I found her. She needed to be seen by a doctor, not only for her own health, but for the baby's health.

Quickly, I began to run. The Rogue district was a maze, but I was somehow able to retrace my steps as I raced through the streets with Moana safely in my arms.

...

When we finally made it back to the car, Moana was a little more conscious.

"Edrick..." she whimpered, reaching out for me as I laid her down in the back seat. "I was so scared..."

"I know," I said, swallowing hard. "It's okay. I'm here."

I then climbed into the driver's seat and began to speed off toward the hospital. As I drove, I kept looking at Moana in the rear view mirror, petrified that she had gotten too hurt and that she would pass out again or even die at any moment, but thankfully she seemed okay — shaken up and exhausted, but okay. There wasn't a scratch on her, except for a bruise on her arm where I assumed that one of Kelly's hooded men grabbed her.

Moana's scent didn't return just yet. But my wolf, Eddy, had been able to experience the scent long enough for him to recognize exactly what it was.

"She must be our mate," Eddy said, his voice echoing through my skull. "I know it from her scent."

I couldn't help but smile a bit as I drove. I took one last look at Moana, who was rubbing her head as she laid in the back seat, and felt relief wash over me. Even though I could already feel my own temperature rising from exhaustion and from the rain, I didn't care. I was just happy that I found her.

"I know," I replied, looking back at the road. I wasn't at all surprised that Moana was my mate. Ever since I had met her, I knew deep down that she was too special to just be a regular human.