Chapter 134: Losing Control

Moana

Hearing how sweetly Edrick spoke to Ella made my heart swell. And to hear him mention me, too, made my heart swell even more. Was my wolf right when she said that Edrick would come around? These past few days, did his attitude toward our relationship begin to shift in the right direction?

I heard Edrick kiss Ella goodnight and approach the door, so I quickly scurried away before he realized that I was eavesdropping. I wasn't sure whether he actually saw me or not, but if he did, he didn't say anything about it.

When we climbed into bed that night, however, I still couldn't wipe the smile off of my face.

"What is it?" Edrick asked, watching me as I climbed into bed. "You've been smiling nonstop all night."

I shrugged and laid down next to him, not sure if I wanted to openly say that I was smiling because our little pizza party made me feel even more strongly about him, and that I wanted us to be a real family. I wasn't sure how he would take it.

It was a cool night out, and the balcony doors were wide open to let in the cool summer breeze. Outside, the city was noisy as always, and it felt even more noisy after our couple of days in the mountains.

"I just want to say thank you for everything you've done for me lately," I finally said. "You've been giving me such a nice time."

Edrick fell silent for a few moments. I thought for a second that he might make some sort of indifferent comment that would allude to his old self, but much to my surprise, he didn't. It really did seem as though the Alpha billionaire was changing for the better lately — or maybe he was just more comfortable being open these days.

"I only want to make you happy," he said finally. His voice was low and soft, and the way he spoke gave me instant butterflies in my stomach. "I'm glad you're comfortable here."

I didn't know what to say. His words were so sweet and seemed so heartfelt that it made me blush, and I opened my mouth to respond, but nothing would come out.

However, it seemed that I didn't need to say anything at all. I felt Mina react even more strongly than ever at Edrick's words, as though the way he spoke almost made her go feral. And then, in that same instant...

Edrick suddenly rolled over to face me. He pushed himself up on his hand and cupped my cheek with the other, his steely gray eyes glowing a bright silver like I had never seen before. The air between us was electrified, and I felt somehow attracted to him and nervous at the same time.

I opened my mouth to ask him what he was doing so suddenly, but before anything could come out, he suddenly pressed his lips against mine with a fervence that I had never experienced before. His sweet lips parted gently and his tongue pressed its way into my mouth while his hand traveled down my neck, over my collarbone and my shoulder, down my waist and landed on my hip, where his fingers squeezed gently and dug into my flesh, causing tingling sensations to shoot through my body like lightning bolts.

I wanted him so badly. I couldn't explain it, but I wanted him more now than ever, as though he was the one thing I needed in life, like oxygen. I kissed him back with the same amount of passion, our lips never parting, and I pressed my hands into his chest. My fingers worked open the buttons on his shirt and slid beneath the fabric to feel his smooth skin, and at the same time, I felt his hand slide lower on my hip, onto my thigh.
So many emotions took over me then. Passion, heat, desire... but above all else, love. It was the same way that I felt when I saw his face in the alleyway, saving me from the Rogues. When he picked me up and all I saw was him looking down at me, his eyes fixed unwaveringly on me.

I knew I loved him then, and I loved him now. I didn't want a fake relationship with Edrick; I wanted a real one. I wanted this all along, and now it was finally becoming a reality. I could tell from the way that he gently yet firmly touched me, and the way that his lips worked their way across my jaw and down my neck, that he felt the same way.

But then, it ended almost as quickly as it began.
Edrick suddenly sat up, ripping his hands away from me with wide eyes. I propped myself up on my elbows while I watched him quickly button his shirt back up, my own eyes wide with disbelief.

"Edrick, what's wrong?" I whispered, my throat choking up already.

Edrick only shook his head. "I'm sorry," he said, standing suddenly. "I got carried away. I shouldn't have done that."

My lower lip began to quiver as he stormed over to the door.

"But, Edrick—" I called after him, sitting up fully now; but he was already gone. I could only stare at the door in disbelief, wondering if I did something wrong. Even if I went after him, I knew that I wouldn't even get an answer. Was being intimate with me really such a mistake that he couldn't even look me in the eye afterwards? Even though he knew that I was a werewolf now, were our differences in social status and all of the scandals surrounding us too much for him to want to be with me romantically?

Suddenly, as a sob caught in my throat, I heard my wolf's voice echo inside my head.

"I'm sorry," she said, sounding somewhat ashamed. "That was my fault."

I shook my head and wiped the tears out of my eyes with the back of my hand. "What happened?" I asked. "Everything seemed fine, and then..."

"Like I said, it was my fault. I... I think Edrick might be our mate. I know I should have asked you first, but I got too curious, and you two seemed so close, so I released my scent. It made him lose control."

My eyes widened as I processed what Mina had just said. Was it true? Edrick may have really been our mate?

But... If he was, why wouldn't he just be intimate with me instead of tearing himself away and running out of the room like that? Surely, if he was my mate, he would have felt the same way. Were the differences between us really so vast that he couldn't even bring himself to be with his own mate?

"He'll come around," Mina said comfortingly. "I promise. Just give him some time. I think I just released too much scent at once and it overwhelmed him."

I sighed and flopped back onto the mattress as I stared up at the ceiling.

"I hope you're right," I whispered out loud. "I really hope you're right."

But that night, Edrick didn't come back to bed.