Chapter 190: Stalling for Time

Moana

"And now, I'm finally going to get it over with," Ethan said as he clicked the safety off on the gun.

During that moment, it felt as though everything froze in time. My mind began to race with a million different things, a million different outcomes. In the corner of my eye, Ella continued to sleep peacefully, oblivious to everything around her. Kelly laid motionless in the corner, and the spotlight that was beaming on my face blinded me so that I couldn't see anything beyond it.

"Mina, I need you," I thought, searching for my wolf's presence. "Please... I know you're scared, but we have to do something. We can't let him kill Ella."

My wolf, who had been hiding in terror as it seemed as though Ethan would surely kill me, showed her presence slightly.

"Keep him talking," she said, her voice echoing in my mind. "Edrick will find us soon. Just keep him talking."

I swallowed, hard, and suddenly turned my head to stare straight down the barrel of the gun. Upon seeing my face, Ethan hesitated. His finger, which had been on the trigger, moved away. I felt as though something in him softened when I looked into his eyes, as though the sweet and gentle artist who I had come to call my friend was still in there somewhere. It was a tiny spark, but it was there.

"If I'm going to die, at least let me ask some questions so I can die in peace," I pleaded. "Please. I just want some answers before I die."
Ethan paused, then slowly lowered the gun after a long time. As he did, I felt as though the gripping sensation around my heart lessened, and I could breathe again.

"Go on," he said, his voice low and grim. "What are your questions?"

"U-Um..." My mind scrambled, searching for something that would make him talk. Finally, I came up with something. "When I talked to Olivia, she said that I'm the Golden Wolf," I said. "Is that true? Did you know that?"

Ethan slowly nodded. "Yes," he replied quietly. "You are."

"How do you know?" I asked.

"Edrick went to the Mother Witch," Ethan responded. "She confirmed it. I had an inkling of it myself, and so I went to the Mother Witch after him. Believe it or not, despite her abilities as an oracle, she didn't seem to realize that I was just using my status and my charm to get information. She told me everything... But, now that I think of it, there is something else that she told me. Maybe you should know before you die."

I nodded vehemently. "Yes," I begged. "Please tell me. Whatever it is, I want to know before I die."

Ethan sighed and passed his hand over his face. I noticed that he was staring at the floor, as though he didn't want to look at me. He didn't want to look his prey in the face. There really was still a shred of humanity in there that didn't want to be a killer; I was sure of it.

"Alright," Ethan finally said. "She only hinted at it, but I believe it's true. You see, Michael has always hated humans. The idea of a Golden Wolf, someone who would bring humans and werewolves together in harmony, is something that he despises. So... He killed your parents, Moana."

As Ethan spoke, my blood ran cold. Michael Morgan... Killed my parents? Was that why they left me at the orphanage? To protect me?
But that wasn't my main concern right now, because in the distance, I could see what looked like the red and blue flashing of police lights through one of the broken windows of the warehouse. Ethan didn't see it, as he was too focused on his story. I just needed to keep him talking for a little longer...

"You're sure of this?" I asked. "The Mother Witch was sure of it? Can she prove it?"

Ethan chuckled. "She can't prove it now, because she's dead. I killed her."

My eyes widened. The Mother Witch was known by all as the most powerful oracle in the world.
"H-How did you do what?" I whispered. "And why?"

"Oh, Moana," Ethan said. He reached out then, finally lifting his gaze to meet me as he brought his hand up to my cheek. His hand was cold and clammy. "You're so naive. So innocent... Don't you know that I couldn't let the Mother Witch live? She was an oracle, after all. My charm and my wit can only take me so far with someone like that, so of course she started to sense that something was wrong. But even though she's an oracle, her neck is still soft and made of flesh, and my knife was sharp."

I swallowed again, trying as hard as I could not to look past Ethan at the approaching lights. Thanks to the spotlight around us, the red and blue police lights didn't show unless he were to look back at them. If I could just keep him talking, keep him looking at me, then he wouldn't notice.

My mind raced for another few moments before I suddenly had another idea.
Trying to hide my fear, I smiled gently and leaned my hand into Ethan's palm. I softened my eyes as I looked up at him, and bit my lower lip. Ethan may have been a monster, but he was still a man... and men had desires.

"You know, I did really like you," I whispered, noticing as his eyes began to widen slightly. "I only turned you down that night because of the baby, but if I'm going to die anyway... What do you say?"

Ethan stared at me for a few moments, as though thinking. His thumb rubbed along my cheek, then came down and ran across my lower lip. It took every fiber in my body not to tremble in a terrified manner at his touch. I had to keep him occupied, keep him looking at me.
"You had feelings for me at some point, didn't you?" I murmured.

Slowly, Ethan nodded. His eyes flickered down to my lips and to my breasts.
But then, his hand dropped back to his side and he looked away, then raised the gun again.

"I did," he whispered. "But not anymore. Your death is too valuable."

"Get down on the ground!" a voice suddenly shouted. Ethan whipped around, and I almost laughed out loud in relief when I saw several police rush in with their guns raised. My heart leaped when I saw Edrick rush in with them, and his eyes widened when he saw me. I wanted so badly to run to him, to apologize for everything and never leave him again. I never should have listened to Olivia, or anyone else...

"Put the gun down!" the police yelled.

But Ethan only ran around behind me and wrapped his arm around my neck. He pushed the gun up against my head, causing the police to stop in their tracks, unable to go further. Edrick stopped at the front of the group, his hands outstretched for me. Even from here, with the spotlight shining in my face, I could see the terror and fury in his eyes.

"If anyone takes one more step, I'll shoot her," Ethan said, pressing the gun into my temple.