Chapter 200: Stay

Moana

Leaving the penthouse broke my heart. That place had become my home. It was our home. I didn't want to leave, and neither did Ella.
I didn't think that Edrick even wanted to leave, either. He kept telling me that it was for the best, that it would be safer at the mountain estate. I wanted to believe him, but part of me didn't think that the mountain estate was all that much safer at all. The last time we had been there, we were almost attacked by a rogue in its wolf form. Even with all of the security guards that Edrick hired, I still didn't think that we were safe.

However, I tried to be understanding, so I didn't complain too much. No matter how much Ella's sadness over leaving her new friends that she made at school made me want to try, I needed to hold my head up. If Edrick thought that it would be better off for everyone if we went to the mountain estate, then I would listen to him. He hadn't failed me before.

As the days went on, I found it harder and harder to pack up my sentimental things. My room felt empty after packing up all of my clothes and my books and art supplies, and Ella's room felt even more empty with her toys packed away. She insisted on keeping her stuffed duck, the one that I had bought for her at the farmers' market over the summer, out for the car ride. Other than that, everything went into boxes for the movers to pick up.

By Friday morning, the day that we were supposed to leave, everything really did feel empty. As I walked around and checked to make sure that I had everything I wanted for the next seven or more months that we would be living at the mountain estate, I had to blink back tears on multiple occasions.

It's only going to be a few months, I told myself, as though that would comfort me. We'll be back in a few months. That's all.
But I didn't think that it was only going to be a few months in reality. One day that week, I had walked past Edrick while he was using his phone and I saw that he was looking at realtors online. He was thinking about selling the penthouse. I decided not to say anything, but the thought of it broke my heart.

As I walked around, I noticed that I had left a few things in my closet that I would want to bring. Sighing, I stooped down to pick up the pile of clothes that had been lost at the back of my closet, and as I did something came to my ears.
Edrick was playing the piano.
It was a sad, sweet song. One of my favorites, actually. The high notes mixed with the severity of the lower keys made for a melancholy tune, which fit the day perfectly. I quickly forgot the things that I had in my hand and walked out toward the sound, almost as though I was in a trance.

As I approached, Edrick didn't seem to notice me. He had his eyes closed, and appeared to be completely absorbed in the music. He looked so handsome playing the piano in the sunlight, with his sleeves rolled up to his elbows and his dark hair a little messy. Smiling slightly, I quietly walked over to the window and looked out while he played on the off chance that he opened his eyes and saw me there. Last time he had played, he didn't want me to look at him. Even though I wanted a snapshot in my mind of the way that he looked just then, I decided to look out at the city instead.

Eventually, the song came to an end and the air in the penthouse fell silent. I felt Edrick's eyes on me, and so I slowly turned. There were tears in my eyes, but I didn't bother to blink them away that time.

For several long moments, we just stared at each other without a word. Edrick's face seemed to soften, and something unrecognizable flashed through his eyes before he stood and slowly walked over to me. His shoes echoed against the wood floor.

When he stopped in front of me, the air between us was almost static. I felt his hand come down and press against mine, against my belly. He held it there firmly so that I could feel his warmth. I tilted my head back to look up at him, and as I did, he bent down and gently pressed his lips against mine.

His lips were warm and soft, and filled me with a sense of peace. Our kiss was long and sweet; when we finally pulled away, it was reluctant, and our lips parted from each other with a gentle smacking sound.

For a few more moments, Edrick touched his forehead to mine before raising his free hand and tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.
"We're staying," he whispered.

My eyes widened. I took a step back, half expecting him to be joking; but he wasn't. His eyes showed nothing but sincerity. "R-Really?" I said.

Edrick nodded. "This is our home," he said. "I can't make us leave."

I couldn't contain my excitement. Without thinking, I let out an excited laugh and threw my arms around him. I kissed him again, more deeply and fervently this time, and when I pulled away my face was red with embarrassment. But Edrick just smiled at me and held me tightly with his eyes full of love.

Suddenly, I heard Ella's little voice call out from the doorway.

"We're staying?" she asked. Edrick and I both nodded, and while a squeal of happiness, she ran over to us. Edrick scooped her up and held her between us. I felt like a little family; a real one this time. And Edrick was right; this was our home. I still didn't know what the future held for us now, even though I had marked Edrick, but I was excited about it. I was happy to call him my mate, and to be able to share this life together, even if this life was out of the ordinary.
No matter what came our way, I knew that we could tackle it together. I wasn't afraid, so long as I had Edrick by my side.

But, at the same time, there was still so much at stake. With my wolf having emerged, I could shift at any time. Not only could the first shifting process be dangerous for our baby in and of itself, but it would also cause my scent to permeate the city, which could lead bounty hunters to us. And one of those hunters was, without a doubt, Edrick's father.

With Kelly and Ethan both in jail, they were no longer a threat. But all along, I was certain that Michael was plotting something. Perhaps he already knew that I was the Golden Wolf and he would come for me soon.

I had no way of knowing what would happen next. But I did know one thing for certain: with Edrick by my side, everything would be okay.

THIS STORY IS 252 CHAPTERS LONG AND AS YOU MAY KNOW, I CAN ONLY POST 200 CHAPTERS PER STORY. I AM POSTING THE 52 OTHERS AS AN OTHER STORY! GO CHECK IT 💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕( the nanny of his mate final)

Xx Asa