Chapter 149: Lock & Key

Edrick

I couldn't sleep at all that night after the picnic.
It was for a variety of reasons: first of all, I was still admittedly upset over what Moana had told me earlier that day. I knew that I shouldn't have been jealous or hurt over it, as Moana was my mate and what happened between us was only fate striking at just the right time, but it didn't make it hurt any less. I just wished that she told me sooner that she broke up with her ex not even an hour before we met, and I had to admit that the way she pitied him made my mood darken.

However, that feeling was quickly overshadowed by the way that she suddenly blurted something out.

It was only one word: "No."
Somehow, I knew that she was talking to her wolf, and not to me. But what were they talking about? Was there something that she wasn't telling me?

Either way, I knew that it would only be a matter of time before Moana's wolf fully emerged. If she accidentally shifted, and if she was in fact the Golden Wolf, she would be putting herself in grave danger. I needed to get to the bottom of this before it was too late. If she was the Golden Wolf, I would have to find some way to keep her from shifting for the first time until the baby was born.

People would instantly know about her existence the second she shifted, and they would no doubt be hunting her. With a baby in her belly, it only made it more dangerous... Not that I wouldn't also be terribly worried about her anyway even if she wasn't pregnant.

That night, I kept tossing and turning. I would fall asleep for a few minutes, only to wake up again from my nerves. Finally, I decided that I simply wouldn't sleep at all.

My mind kept wandering back to the forum thread that I found about the book on the Golden Wolf. It was supposedly extremely rare, and possibly didn't even exist. But I had a feeling that I could find it.

There was a private library in the city that was only open to the highest class of werewolves. I had never been there before myself, but it was common knowledge that the librarian lived there, and she had an enormous collection of rare and banned books. It was late, but I didn't care; I needed to see her now.

I quietly got dressed while Moana slept, taking one last glance at her before I slipped out of the room and headed outside. And soon, I was driving my car across the quiet city, and pulling up to the curb outside the library.

It was a massive stone building that had been a part of this city since the city was built. The librarians here were always from the same family, and the library would be passed down to each generation. There was something almost ominous about the building, but I swallowed my nerves and walked up the front steps to the big, ornate wooden door and pressed the doorbell.
There was a long wait. I pressed the doorbell a couple more times, and by the third time, I began to think that no one was going to answer.
However, just as I was about to walk away, the door finally cracked open.

"What do you want?" a gruff, old woman's voice said through the crack. "It's three o'clock in the morning. Can't you read? The hours are posted right in front of your face."

I felt my face flush with embarrassment. "I'm sorry," I said. "I know you're not open. But I have urgent research to do. Can you please let me in?"

The door cracked open a little wider, and now I could see an old woman's face staring up at me. Her face was covered with wrinkles, but she had piercing blue eyes. "I recognize you," she said, her voice low and gravelly. "You're Edrick Morgan. What are you doing here?"

I swallowed. "Like I said, I have urgent research I need to do," I replied. "It's really important, but unfortunately I can't tell anyone what it's about."