Chapter 17: Drunk on Warlock drinks?

The group emerged from the glowing portal, into the shining glass city of Alicante, filled with shadowhunters from all around the world, all in black shadowhunting gear, the hilts of their swords sparkling as they passed by.

Inquisitor Herondale cleared her throat and turned to address the blonde figure behind her, "The trial will proceed at 11am tomorrow morning, but until then you shall be held in the City of Bones. Brother Zachariah will be in charge of your stay there."

"Why can't I be held in Alicante? I much prefer their cells to the ones in the City of Bones." Rosaline said stubbornly to the woman in the dark grey cloak.

Jace stepped beside Rose and shot her a confused look, "Since, when have you been in the Alicante cells?"

Rose shrugged him off, "It's a long story."

A smirk appeared on the young man's face as he whispered in the golden haired girl's ear, "Drunk on Warlock drinks?"

Rosaline scoffed, "Shorter than I thought." She refrained herself from giving in to Jace's tricks to win her back and turned back to the inquisitor speaking in a stern voice, almost mimicking the inquisitor herself, "Inquisitor, are we certain there is no way that I can transfer to a much more pleasant cell? Because you know, I have sensitive skin and if it's in damp, dark conditions then I may not even make it to the trial."

Inquisitor Herondale sighed in anger at the girl's inability to be somewhat serious in an important issue, "Brother Zachariah will be here to escort you within the hour." With one last glare the inquisitor marched off, her cloak floating behind her, towards the accords hall.

Rosaline's face flashed red, "By the angel, are you sure she's not a demon? I'm sure Isabelle's necklace would be pulsing by now."

"Maybe, you could kill her with your mind?" Jace suggested, whilst making swirling motions with his hands round his head, followed by video game shooting noises.

Rolling her eyes, she nudged Jace in order for him to stop, "Oh please tell me you do not still believe all that Valentine crap."

"Well, you might as well try it on her." Jace stepped forward and began making swirling hand motions around his head, but this time in the direction of the now small figure of inquisitor Herondale, "POW! POW! POW!"

Rose stepped in front of Jace, leaning so close she could feel his breath ticking her skin, now a bittersweet memory, "Or maybe I'll test it on you."

Jace stepped even closer, feeling the heat off Rosaline's small but not fragile body, raising his eyebrows slightly, "You wouldn't."

"Oh really?" Rose giggled, but not the usual flirty way Jace was used to, this time it has a more sinister aura.

Slowly Rose leant towards Jace as if she was about to kiss him, then moved slightly to the right and began to whisper in his ear, sending chills down his spine. "I return from England, at my own risk, because I hear that you are hurt and find instead that you are sleeping with your sister, shortly followed by me being attacked by a serial killer claiming to be your father, whom you still seem to trust. Then I am locked in a library because you thought there was a bloody portal in there."

Leaning back slowly, Rose looked into Jace's eyes, her ice blue eyes had never looked as menacing, "Don't test me Jace."

For the first time Jace struggled to put his words together and suddenly blurted, "Number one" he raised one finger, "there was no sleeping involved" he raised a second finger, "number two it was your choice to go into the house."

"Is that all you have to say?" Rose said slowly, keeping her eyes locked on his.

"Well no. But I think they are best not said at this current moment as you may hurt me with your mind."

A loud crack sounded as Rose's hand came across the side of Jace's face, leaving a large red blotch on the right hand side of his golden face.

"Or with your hand." Jace winched, rubbing the side of his face, "That wasn't as imaginative as if you'd done it with your mind."

Looking behind Jace, Rose saw a bright flash of red mixed with the gleaming, metal swords of the weapons store. Turning back to Jace she held her stone cold glare and sweetly smiled at him, "You uh, might want to keep an eye on that sister of yours cause she seems to be walking into a weapons store, the chances of her accidently stabbing herself are currently very high."

Standing up straight, Jace held the same glare back at Rose, "Clary is smarter than you think."

Jace turned and began walking fast towards the weapons store, leaving Rose standing alone on the cobbled streets of Alicante. Breathing out slowly, Rose smoothed down her golden hair, letting what tears her body had left trickle down her faded face.

"Clary don't touch that one!"

Rose let out a small laugh as she imagined the chaos in the weapons store at the current moment. She rubbed her face, clearing it of the left over tears and in the process smudging her mascara. Looking up, she saw a cloaked figure with scars covering his face. Except unlike the other silent brothers his mouth and eyes were not sealed.

"You must be brother Zachariah." She stated, feeling more vulnerable than she ever been before.

The figure slowed as it came nearer, then slowly looked up, its hood falling back.

Jessamine?