Chapter 3: Broken Promises

“Go away,” She sniffed. “I don’t want to speak to you.” Rose looked away. She didn’t want to have to deal with him now, especially after what had just happened. She tried to pull her wrist away from Jace but he was not going to let her go.

“Rose, why didn’t you tell me?” He looked softly at her.

She couldn’t help it; it was those eyes that just made melt inside. “Tell you what?”

“That you killed your first demon? We were supposed to celebrate when it happened.” Jace said.

Rose remembered the promise they made when they were 13, when Rose killed her first demon, Jace would take her hunting with him and then they would go to a downworlder club. But Rose never got a chance to tell him since he was so wrapped up in the mundane situation.

“You never asked and even if I wanted to tell you, you were too busy with that Mundie” she sniffled, holding back the tears threating to escape her eyes.

Jace pulled Rose into a tight hug and stroked her soft blonde locks. Rose and Jace had always stuck with each other. In a way they were very similar, they were both orphans and were raised with the Lightwoods at the institute from a young age. Rose remembered the times when they would chase each other round the weapons room and seeing who was the fastest, Jace was always faster but occasionally he would let Rose win. It was the kind of relationship neither of them would like to lose.

“Hey, hey” Jace said softly “I’ll tell what, let’s go to your favourite place” he chuckled “The weapons room and later I’ll take you out hunting with me. How about that?”

A smile lit up on her face. “You know me too well”

~

The weapons room was Roses favourite place. It was one of the most dangerous rooms but by far her favourite. She looked around admiring her favourite place. Brushed metal walls were hung with every manner of sword, dagger, spike, pike, feather staff, bayonet, whip, mace, hook, and bow. Soft leather bags filled with arrows dangled from hooks, and there were stacks of boots, leg guards, and gauntlets for wrists and arms. The place smelled of metal and leather and steel polish.

A smile lit up on Roses face as she rushed towards the shining knives and daggers hung up on the wall.

“Careful Rose! Remember what happened last time.” Jace shot her a look.

Rose chuckled. Last time she had accidently clipped Jace’s ear whilst throwing knives. It was mainly his fault. Jace was mocking her saying that she couldn’t hit a moving target even if was a giant moving at a snail pace…so she had whipped her head around threw a knife, she had aimed at the wall behind Jace but missed by about a centimetre causing the knife to clip Jace’s ear.  He’d made a big deal about it but it was only the smallest cut, even so it had caused Jace to have what she called a hissy fit. Rose giggled at the memory.

“Whatever,” she called, throwing Jace a wink.

Jace rolled his eyes.

Rose picked up a knife, and tested it for sharpness. This was one of the sharpest knives in the weapons room and by far one of her favourites. She walked over to the targets and flicked her wrist sharply; the knife flew out of her hand at a very fast speed. It lodged itself straight through the dummy's heart, making it through to the other side; there was that much power in her throw.

Knives were Rose’s favourite weapon. She wasn’t very tall so they were perfect for her. She was too small to us one of Isabelle’s whips, knowing how clumsy she was she would probably of got tangled up in it if she used a whip.

She threw a few more knives then made her way to Jace and Alec who were putting the last touches to the three seraph blades. She looked up to see Clary open the door to the weapons room.

Jace looked up as the door shut behind Clary. “Where’s Hodge?” he said

“Writing to the silent brothers.” Clary said as she made her way to Jace, playing with a strand of her red hair.

Alec repressed a shudder. “Ugh”

Clary approached the table slowly, conscious of Alec’s gaze. “Hodge said I could go home.”

Jace nearly dropped the seraph blade he was holding. “He said what?”

“To look through my mother’s things,” Clary hesitated. “If you go with me”

Rose looked up from sharpening her knives. “Jace” she exhaled, but Jace ignored her.

Clary carried on, “If you really want to prove that my mom or dad was a shadowhunter, we should look through my mother’s things. Well, what’s left of them.”

 Jace grinned crookedly.  “Good idea. If we go now, we should have another three, four hours of daylight.”

“We can come with you,” Rose said grabbing her knives and placing some in her belt and others in her boot.

“No.” Jace didn’t turn around to look at Rose. “It’s alright clary and I can handle it on our own.” Jace grabbed a few seraph blades and hurried out the door with Clary completely forgetting Rose, who was standing there, knife in her hand with a look that was as sour as poison.

Alec stood up and put his arm around Rose. “Don’t worry I’m sure she’ll be out of here soon, I’m not particularly happy about her being here either.”

Rose sighed. “It’s not that. It’s just Jace promised me that we would go hunting later, and he completely forgot about me the moment the Mundie walked in.”

“I’m sure it will pass, you know how Jace is. He’ll be interested in something for one day and the next he will have completely forgotten about it, I’m sure it will be the same with this mundane.” Alec said softly and looked down.

“You really like him don’t you?” Rose said looking up into Alec’s signature blue eyes.

Alec turned bright red and began to twiddle his fingers, “What do you mean?”

“I see the way you look at him”, Rose smiled. “It’s like you wold take a bullet for him”

“I umm” Alec looked down scratching his head, unsure of how to respond.

Rose grabbed his hands, “Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone. I promise”

Alec smiled at her. “I’ll tell you what, Isabelle has this invite to a downworlder party, it’s in a couple of days but we could go if you like. We don’t need Jace to have fun.”

Rose giggled. “Sure, maybe we can find you a nice warlock friend” She winked at him.

“Certainly not, my standards are much higher than that” Alec chuckled.

Rose made a face at him. “I doubt that. Now if you don’t mind I am going to get myself a take away cause I’ve heard that Isabelle will be cooking tonight.” Rose began to walk towards the door.

“Hey wait up.” Alec called out. “I think I might join you then. Chinese?”

Rose turned around as Alec ran to catch up with her. “Chinese it is then” Rose smiled. “Since it’s your sister’s fault, you shall be paying for the food.”

Alec rolled his eyes. “Whatever.”