Chapter 18: City of bones

Authors note: Currently the Internet on my computer has been hacked which makes my wattpad act up when I upload chapters, so if when your reading one of the words has a link attached don't click on it. I only seems to show up when viewing via laptop or computer. Viewing on phones and tablets etc. is fine. Just wanted to let you guys know :)

Brother Zachariah stood a few feet in front of Rosaline, staring at her in puzzled amazement. Like Jessamine she possessed long blond hair and exquisite beauty, although personality wise Brother Zachariah had yet to see the arrogant and naïve side of the new Lovelace

"Brother Zachariah?"

Knocking him out of thought Brother Zachariah stammered, Uh yes , umm yes I'm to take you to the city of bones umm...

Rose couldn't help analyse the silent brothers features, they were peculiar compared to the others, although this did not offer her anymore ease. Stepping forward slightly, Rose held out her hand, "Rosaline. Rosaline Lovelace"

Brother Zachariah nodded briefly ignoring her outstretched hand, then swiftly turning and signalling for Rose to follow him, Yes of course a Lovelace, you all look very similar.

Briskly Rose jogged to keep up with the cloaked stranger, "How many others have you known?"

Just one other Brother Zachariah's voice in her head said softly, drifting at the end.

Rosaline followed Brother Zachariah down various sets of granite steps, their edges worn down by years of use. Torches were set along the steps at intervals, flaring hot green and icy blue. For a moment the tunnel opened up to show row upon row of tall marble arches that rose overhead, inscribed with the same runes that decorated her peoples skin with lines and whorls and swirling patterns. To her dismay they continued down into the holding cells of the City of Bones.

~

~

~

Brother Zachariah stopped in front of a cell swinging the door open and then swiftly locking it once Rosaline was inside. It was a small room, like the others, stone -bound. There was a sink with a cracked mirror above it, that gave Rose back her own reflection in twisted pieces and a narrow bed covered with rough, brown blankets with the letters JG carved into the stone just above the bedstead.

"Can I get something to eat?"

Not until morning before you are trialled.

"Not even a cookie ?" Rose whined.

No.

"But I haven't eaten since yesterday."

I'm sorry Miss Lovelace.

"Can I get some water at least?"

There's some in the corner of your cell .

Rose turned , looking at the ceramic jug of water in the corner surrounded by a sea of dust, "But it looks weir-

Brother Zachariah was gone. Rose huffed, sitting herself on the hard bed, "Bloody city of bones."

~

~

~

*an hour later*

~

~

~

"There you go my love."

Roseline scrambled from the narrow bed, wrapping herself in the rough blankets as she knelt behind the iron bars, happy to see her secret friend, "You again? By the angel how did you get in here?" Smiling she grabbed the chocolate bar from him, tearing it open and biting it cautiously.

"Aren't you grateful I bought you a snack?" Sebastian looked over Rosaline, at what must have been a ceramic jug of water; now it was in pieces on the floor, as if someone had thrown it with great force against the wall.

Rose continued munching while she spoke, "Very much so but if your caught down here-"

Cutting her off Sebastian reassured her, "They won't catch me. Your friend Brother Zachariah seems very distracted at the moment and I saw him wandering in the opposite direction, to the City of Bones water fountain."

"They have a water fountain?" Rosaline furrowed her eyebrows .

"No." Sebastian smirked, "he just won't be coming back anytime soon."

Confused, Rose stared at Sebastian. Brother Zachariah was annoyingly blunt but surly Sebastian wouldn't kill him just to see her, would he? She thought to herself.

He cut off her train of thought, "Tomorrow they are going to put you on trial to see if you were an accomplice of Valentines and they may even use the mortal sword on you."

"Doesn't that hurt?" Rosalie placed the half eaten chocolate bar beside her and began fiddling with her mother's ring.

Reaching out Sebastian took her hand, making her look deep into his ebony eyes, "The majority of the time yes, but they cannot know that you have spoken to me."

"Why?"

"Because then I'll be dragged into it and possibly trialled as well. Although unlike you I have done far worse things, including breaking into the City of Bones to see you." He reached into his pocket and drew something out, extending his hand toward Rosaline through the iron bars. In his palm lay a golden ring with a gleaming ruby in the centre surrounded by a ring of diamonds, "Take off your ring and wear this one instead. It will make the mortal sword ineffective on you and you will be able to lie."

Rose timidly plucked the ring from his palm, twiddling it through her fingers, "But that's breaking a lot more laws."

"Promise me my love, I don't want to see you get hurt" Sebastian's voice was soft, enough to fool a whole army.

Authors note : Please read!

What did you guys think? I've finally back from holiday so will be able to start writing more this summer! YAY!!

Please give me feedback or your thoughts on where you think the story will go, I love reading them!

If you're a Game of Thrones fan please check out my other FanFic "The Wildling Princess" it would be greatly appreciated J

Love you all!!! :*