Chapter 7: We look like prostitutes...

“Isabelle, Clary looks ridiculous in that.” Rose said staring at Clary’s overly short and tight dress.

Isabelle laughed, “Well, do you have anything you could lend her instead?”

“Izzy I don’t own anything trashy, you know my wardrobe only contains leather and the odd ball gown here and there.” Rose said.

Isabelle raised an eyebrow, “Are you saying my clothes are trashy?”

“Nooo I’m saying there’s nothing that clary can borrow in my wardrobe.” Rose said with a smirk.

Isabelle rolled her eyes, “What are you wearing anyway?”

Rose looked down at her leather covered outfit, “This…”

“You’re wearing shadowhunter gear!”  Isabelle accused.

“And?”  Rose shrugged.

“Way to be discrete about it.” Isabelle said rooting around the closet.

Rose crossed her arms. “About what?”

“Downworlders will be able to spot you a mile out.” Isabelle pulled out what looked like a small piece of black fabric. “Put this on.” She said throwing it over to Rose.

“This is worse than Clary’s dress.” Rose exclaimed, holding up the small piece of fabric.

“Tough luck now put it on.”

Hastily, Rose retreated to the small bathroom, which was painted bright blue. She wriggled the dress on over her head— it was tight, leather and strapless. She looked down at the blue sapphire ring on her finger; it was her mother’s engagement ring. It was the last thing she managed to get before she fled for her life. Trying not to inhale too deeply, she returned to the bedroom, where Isabelle was sitting on the bed, assessing Clary’s outfit. "You're so lucky to have such a flat chest," Isabelle said. "I could never wear that without a bra."

Clary scowled. "It's too short."

"It's not short. It's fine," Isabelle said, toeing around under the bed. She kicked out a pair of boots and some black fishnet tights. "Here, you can wear these with it. They'll make you look taller. Rose put those boots on over there, you can keep them and that outfit, you might need it again."

"Right, because I'm flat-chested and a midget." Clary tugged the hem of the dress down. It just brushed the tops of her thighs. She hardly ever wore skirts, much less short ones, so seeing this much of her own legs was alarming. "If it's this short on me, how short must it be on you?" she mused aloud to Isabelle.

Isabelle grinned. "On me it's a shirt."

Clary flopped down on the bed and pulled the tights and boots on. She laced them to the top and stood up, looking at herself in the mirror. She had to admit that the combination of short black dress, fishnets, and high boots was fairly badass.