Business As Usual

People had been flooding in and out of The Leaky Cauldron all day, fluttering around like a hive of bees to get ready for school in two days. The Potter family had spent most of summer there, in wake of the escaped mass murderer. Since Harry started Hogwarts, there had yet to be a quiet year. He was starting to think his younger brother had a death wish. 

James and Lily had hardly given Elijah much mind, once he'd confessed to them with Harry that he was the true heir to Slytherin after the events that took place in the Chamber of Secrets, he supposed they didn't have much left to say to him. If Harry hadn't been there with him, he was certain they'd had believed he had been the one behind the whole thing. Instead of helping the boy with his discovery, it was just yet another barrier blocking their relationship.

He hadn't minded spending the summer in the Inn, it meant he got to sneak off to see his Slytherin friends more. His parents didn't approve of him spending time with them outside of school, but with them preoccupied with Harry most of the time, he took advantage. It was one of the best summers he'd had in a long while, he didn't feel like such an outcast this summer.

His parents were house hunting over the weeks, but for the time being they had it on Dumbledores word that this was the safest place for them, and the Weasleys had arrived a few days ago with Hermione. That's when the mayhem had started, so many people coming and going, adults in hushed conversations, the twins plotting pranks (no one was safe) and the golden trio snooping around. Elijah was a little more introverted but whenever he had the energy he'd find the twins to relax with, they were in the year above him and had taken him under their wing very quickly. Even if they were in different houses.

Today had been spent in Diagon Alley, gathering school supplies. He'd walked around with the Weasleys and Harry for the last few hours, and as the day drew to an end they slowly found their way back to the Inn. All school supplies put away they sat in the pub downstairs, everyone chattering away excitedly both parents and children ready for the school year to start.

Elijah sat in one of the corner booths, butter beer on the table, book in his hands and scribbling notes on the margins. 

"Not joining the others?" A voice spoke softly to him, causing him to be pulled from the page and look up at the man. He recognised him from some of the hushed meetings his parents had, they had introduced him at some point, his name was- "Remus Lupin.. Friend of your parents.." the other said as if reading his mind. "Sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you, you just looked a little lonely over here." He hummed as he slid into the opposite side of the booth. "What are you reading?" 

"It's a transfiguration book," Elijah replied, sitting up properly and putting the book down on the table, the other man's gaze briefly sweeping over the notes trying to decode the messy handwriting.

"Homework or just extra reading?" Remus asked, taking an interest in his friends eldest son and his extra reading. It appeared odd to the man that whilst everyone else was being sociable the boy would rather spend his time with his nose in a book.

This was throwing the boy off a little, his parents didn't even ask him this many questions, not since he didn't get sorted to Gryffindor, why was this guy suddenly interested. He looked around to see if this was some kind of trick or, if after last year, his parents had decided they still didn't trust him, turning back to the man he tilted his head, trying to figure him out. 

"Just some extra reading, I found I enjoy the subject a lot, and though Professor McGonagall is amazing, she can only cover so much in a year." He finally answered. There was, of course, more to it than that, but he wasn't about to spill all his business to a stranger.

"It's a brilliant subject, your father and some of our friends were awfully good at it at school. It's probably where the interest stems from, no? I'm sure your father loves the fact that you've been so invested in it." Lupin continued, trying to be friendly and kind toward the boy. 

It was clear to Elijah that the man before him had absolutely no idea about him and his fathers relationship. It was a difficult one, and the boy tried to be understanding, especially when his brother had so many close calls with death. But the more time the boy spent around his father the more he started to come to the conclusion that the man didn't want a relationship with him at all, and he wasn't going to force one.

"I've never really spoken to him about it." he finally replied, looking back down at the book.

"I'm surprised, James was very gifted at it. You should ask him about it sometime." The man smiled, "I'm sure he could easily chew your ear off about the complexity of it all."

"Yeah, I may have to do that." the boy humoured the other. What was he supposed to say? That his father had hardly spoken five words to him since he got back that summer? That since starting Hogwarts it had been the exact same treatment each summer? That he was certain it was because he wasn't in Gryffindor like his brother? No, Elijah didn't tell a soul about his parents attitude towards him. If they wanted to ignore him or pretend he wasn't there most of the time, he was fine with it. That's what he told himself anyway.

Lupin could sense there was more going on with the kid, more than what was on the surface. He wondered if James and Lily knew the extent of it, or if he was going to have to discover it himself. 

Remus smiled, "So are you looking forward to going ba-"

He was interrupted by the twins coming over to him with an almost scowling look in their eyes, "Something you want to tell us, Potter?" They quizzed, both of the crossing their arms over their chests in sync.

Remus glanced back and forth from the twins to Elijah, who looked lost at the question.

"Do I get a hint in what this is about or is it a riddle?" He sighed, lifting his butter beer and taking a long sip as he waited for an answer from one of the boys. 

"How come we are just hearing that you have quidditch scouts coming to watch you this year?" George questioned.

"Furthermore, how come we had to find out from a Hufflepuff.. Lucy Hinchwood?" Fred added.

"In my defence, I only got the letter this morning from Madam Hooch and Professor Snape, I've not even read through it properly-"

"Yet Lucy knew!" Fred exclaimed.

"Because Madam Hooch is her aunt-" Elijah went to add but was cut off by George again.

 "You best hope we have a good defence against the dark arts teacher this year, potter because that defence was weak and us Weasley twins can cause more havoc than most dark arts.."

The comment made Lupin smile as he eased himself out of the booth, allowing the twins to climb in and quiz the older Potter brother on his letter.  He'd be able to catch up with the boy later, for now he was just happy he had the twins to keep him company. He needed to go speak to Elijahs parents to find out more about him.