Strings

Honestly, the Christmas break was passing a lot quicker than Elijah would have liked, he'd spent most of his time between the Quidditch pitch and the library. His arm healing up a lot better now that it had been a few weeks, Poppy had told him the stitches would be ready to remove before the Yule Ball.

He was on his way back from the the library when he almost bumped into the Professor, quickly reaching down to catch the books the Professor had been carrying before passing them back and noticing who it was.

"Sorry, sir." he apologised, pulling his headphones off his head and letting them settle around his neck. "I wasn't looking where I was going."

Dumbledore didn't seem at all fazed that the boy had bumped into him, instead he wore a small smile. "Elijah, been busy in the library again? Found what you were looking for?"

"Erm- Not yet, but there is always tomorrow." the boy shrugged, looking down at the books he had just checked out.

"Something I can help you with?" Dumbledore questioned, noticing the hesitancy.

Elijah let out a heavy sigh, "Sir, the clue for the second task.. The thing that will be taken.. It's a person isn't it?" he asked, chewing on his bottom lip.

The Headmaster glanced around the corridor before gently taking the boys shoulder, "Perhaps we should talk in my office." he hummed, guiding the student through the castle.

Neither of them said another word until they were in the Headmasters office. A small smile spread across Elijah's features when he spotted Fawkes, going over to pet the bird who nuzzled into his hand.

Dumbledore watched the boy curiously, taking a seat at his desk as he waited for the boy to join him. "So you believe the clue to be hinting towards people, why?"

"I don't see what other items could be deemed that important to a witch or wizard." Elijah shrugged, nervously twisting his Slytherin ring. "But, regardless on what it is about sir, I have a request.. I know we aren't meant to come to Professors for advice, but this isn't really advice.. I just.." he stopped himself to try and collect the words he wanted to say and form them into a sentence. "A lot of people mean a great deal to me, but if you pick anyone, please don't let it be Lucas. I know you know who his real father is, and I don't want Rita Skeeter posting pictures of Lucas in the papers drawing in unwanted attention from anyone still loyal to Voldemort. So if you have any say in who gets selected.. Please just pick anyone else. I can give you a list of people in this castle I'd sacrifice my life for and a longer one if we are including people outside of it. Just not him."

The Headmaster let out a small hum at the boys request, his eyes peering intently over his half-moon glasses. "If I were to have a say in who got chosen, do you not think all of the Champions would be down here asking to select who was taken?"

"But they're not, and I'm not asking for me. I'm asking to protect two other people. People who deserve a second chance. If Voldemort is returning surely we need people who understand how he thinks. Regulus can help. But he needs to be alive for that to happen." The boy argued, practically begging at this point.

Dumbledore seemed to be considering the others words, before clearing his throat and moving to rest his elbows on the desk. "If I accept this request then what will you give me in exchange, Elijah?"

Elijah closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. Did he think he'd have to bargain to protect Regulus and Lucas? No. Would he? Absolutely. "Anything. What do you want?"

The Professor studied the boy, giving a small nod. "Come to me the night before the third task, if things are going the way I believe them to then I will tell you what I want."