Ex-Doctor

Hey!

When I made Patriot Speak, I always put it in bold, but I won't anymore.

Let's get back to it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lemuen's eyes snapped open, craning her neck upward and staring at the armoured giant before her. She observed as the giant raised one of his bulky arms and pulled off his helmet with one smooth motion.

Staring into the man's eyes with a hint of surprise, half expecting a machine to stare at her, she asked. "You storm through our home like some kind of angel of death... Yet you won't grant someone a death when asked?"

"... You're not a threat nor an enemy."

"Ha, you sure about that?" Lemuen gave him a crooked smile and slowly moved her hand across her rifle with intent.

Patriot's grip tightened on his bolter, and he glared down at Lemuen, "You would throw your life away so casually?"

Lemuen chuckled without humour, looking down at her wheelchair before looking back at him.

"Not much of a life, is it?"

"... More than most, I would wager," His eyes scanning over her,

"Oh?"

"Your weapon is well maintained, your clothes are clean and well made, your hair is soft and smooth, and your wheelchair is high quality."

"... Your point?"

"Countless people are dying from Oripathy, and most of them live in the gutter. Most won't get any treatment and are dirty, cold, and in constant pain," Patriot grunts before continuing, "My scanners show no infection in you... Your life looks comfortable in comparison."

"..."

"You will not have my sympathy or a single round of my bolter, girl," Patriot looks her in the eye once more before putting his helmet back on and stepping past her.

Lemuen was shocked at his words and didn't react in time to block his path, so with a quick jerk on her left wheel of the wheelchair, she spun around in his direction, watching the armoured man leave.

"Wait!"

Patriot stopped and looked at her over his shoulder, waiting for her to say something.

"You're an assho-" Whatever Lemuen was going to say was cut off when a crack was heard, followed by a spray of blood from her left shoulder—the impact sent the disabled woman out of her chair and to the floor.

 "Ahh!" Lemuen screamed in pain.

Patriot reacted to the shot instantly, raising his bolter to something further away and firing three rounds. The large rounds cut through the air and hit a man with a rifle square in the chest. The results were instant and lethal. The man who took the large-calibre projectiles was blown apart.

Scanning around for any further threats but finding none, he looks to the downed women who sought death only a few minutes ago.

She wasn't moving.

Anyone else would have panicked and rushed to the woman's side to check on her, but Patriot's optics could see her heart still beating.

He turned around and walked away from Lemuen.

"P-Please..."

He stopped again and clenched his weapon tightly. The Sankta's whispered plea reminded him of little Yelena when she was young, lost and afraid. He turned once more to face Lemuen, unsurprised to see her holding her bleeding shoulder in pain and reaching out to him with the other. Focusing on her shoulder, he could see she was losing blood fast. The pressure she was applying to the gunshot wound wasn't enough.