Safe and Sound

Hey.

Oh, look, Kalina, up above us! She has Lynx ears. You can't see them. 

It's a slightly shorter chapter today. 

Let's get back to it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm sorry, Commander."

Farsight couldn't believe what he was hearing. How did he lose Agenta, of all people?! She wasn't even alone... She had soldiers from every division surrounding her, Frostnova and the Banshees. 

An Ursus battle group would have stood no chance against her. Even one of them, Emperor's Blades, would be hard-pressed to handle Agenta going all out and her well-equipped and diverse security detail.

"Is this a confirmed death?" Farsight snapped in a low tone. A hint of sadness could be heard.

There was an uncertain pause before the radio activated again, "No, Commander, nothing confirmed—all emergency processes Lady Agenta herself put in place worked as intended."

'Agenta and her damn regulations and processes! Not as full proof as she thought if we can't verify her status, clearly.' Farsight thought bitterly.

Farsight didn't respond. He was busy pondering possible reasons why Agenta would go silent. She would never go silent! She was a by-the-books type of woman...

"Commander?" A more mature voice pulled him from his thoughts. A different person was on the radio.

"Farsight here, Speak," He said. A horrible feeling welled up inside him.

"We managed to repair Lady Agenta's damaged emergency channel and piece back the sound waves before they went silent... I-I think you should hear this."

"... Play it."

"Yes, Commander."

While Farsight waited patiently for the recording, he looked around briefly, watching the Siracusan civilians move further and further away from the burning city. Penance stood close by, talking to local law enforcement; plenty of his soldiers were around.

Farsight closed his eyes when loud static entered his ears and that of the surrounding soldiers. He listened intently, trying to find anything in the garbled noise to help him discover if she lived or not and potentially find his annoying Farseer.

HIS annoying Agenta.

If the situation weren't so dire, he would be questioning his sudden possessiveness over the woman who got him killed...

*ROAR*

Farsight's eyes widened at the ear-piercing roar that emerged from the static. Everyone within ten miles must have heard it! One of the Enclave soldiers sitting on a modified Hammerhead tank accidentally leant against the control panel for a giant speakerphone, which was used to effectively give orders to the thousands of civilians. 

Everyone present heard the roar. Most of the already frightened civilians looked around in terror, not understanding where the noise came from. Unfortunately for Farsight and the Enclave, the static broke before the massive speaker could be turned off, and more roars appeared, followed by shouts, gunfire and screams of agony. 

Farsight honestly didn't care for the chaos that was unfolding in front of him. He ignored the panicking civilians running in panic, believing they were under attack, and the Enclave trying to calm them down with little success.

His mind was focused solely on the noise causing all this chaos.

Those sounds were the Enclave forces, no doubt. He could hear the distinctive sounds of pulse rifles and lasguns, the howl of a Banshee, melee weapons clashing, and even the crackling of Agenta's lightning being discharged somewhere in the background.